Friday, 30 March 2012

Eostre

Today, we meet another of the Courts from the  Maat Tarot (Julie Cuccia-Watts, 2006).

The Princess (Page) of Cups shows what Julie describes as a young bride on the way to her wedding.  She is emotionally committed, but not yet experienced.  What I see here, too, are multiple symbols of Eostre, or Ostara, the Goddess associated with Easter.  To the left of the Princess on her white horse, we see a hare, a nest of eggs, and the first spattering of blossom on a tree.  Even the palm branch that Julie states is traditional for brides makes me think of Palm Sunday, part of the Christian Easter festival.  To her other side, and further back, is an empty grave, marked with lamb's blood.  This is to indicate the need for new life, to bring fresh beginnings to what has been dead, just as spring follows winter.

As for me, today I will go with Julie's new bride metaphor.  Barbara Moore's Steampunk Tarot has finally arrived, and today I hope to dedicate myself to getting to know this new companion :)  However, I am not a jealous lover, and will share some Steampunk delights with you later, and all next week ;)

I don't want to end this week with the Maat just talking about another deck, though.  I have loved my time with this deck, and have been using the app every day for myself, too, which I think will continue.  So, don't think this is the last you'll see of this stunning deck!

I am grateful for the deep love I feel for tarot.

No comments:

Post a Comment