Saturday, 24 March 2012

Faces

This week I will be pulling my daily cards from Julie Cuccia-Watts' stunning Maat Tarot (self-published, 2006).

For this first draw, the Seven of Swords shows its faces.  This fits well with traditional interpretations of trickery and deceit - the question of which face we choose to show to others - but has other layers, too.   For one thing, Julie talks about the ultimate thief being time - which steals away our youth and our sense of self.  Another thing she mentions is the idea that the facades we show to others are not just empty masks, but about actually being different - others can bring out the best or worst in us.

This card makes me think about the very different faces I show to different people in my life.  My Facebook page, for example, is reserved for friends, family, and tarot people - who often also fit the friends category :)  Then there's my day job in the business world, where I wouldn't dare mention tarot.  One colleague once said she didn't believe in yoga - wtf?  You don't have to "believe" in yoga, you just practice or you don't, and if you choose to follow a spiritual path at the same time that is in many ways by-the-by.  Anyhow, you can imagine what these people would think if I told them I read tarot!!  Then there're my counselling clients, to whom I show an empathetic, professional face, without sharing my own pain...

Now I have "From Russia With Love" running through my head.  Ah, the things we do when we are uncertain of ourselves, and the need we sometimes have for others to validate us.


I am grateful for the people with whom I can just be me.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps someday soon people won't have to hide their spiritual pursuits for fear of professional suicide. Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where we could openly share the beautiful strange magical things that happen to us all. The majority of us have had weird spiritual encounters and yet most of that majority is afraid to share. I am lucky to have bunches of close friends who are out of the closet spiritually. It's great to share and sometimes find we are having dreams about similar things! Coincidentally the 7 of Swords is the coloring sheet I am working on today for the Journey into Egypt coloring book and workbook. How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,

    Yes, that would be lovely - to share spiritual experiences with others, or at least not have to hide them. I have plenty of spiritually-minded friends, too, for whom I give thanks. Sadly, though, there is such fear around admitting to non-rational beliefs within certain communities, business being often one of those.

    Very cool that today you were working on the Journey into Egypt Seven of Swords! Really looking forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very strange and interesting card. Yes, obviously I can relate to showing different faces/hiding parts of ourselves. You know it's amazing how perceptive people can be, though. Often people know things without our saying them.

    How WEIRD that someone said they didn't believe in yoga? Haha. So funny. I am imagining them in a particularly difficult yoga pose crying uncle and saying they are believers!

    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi MM,

    It's funny you say it's a strange card, as I'd never thought about it that way. Perhaps because there's a similar card in the Osho Zen Tarot, though I think there it's the Seven of Cups - illusions in what we see in ourselves and others.

    I was pretty gob-smacked when this person said she didn't believe in yoga. It's not like it's a religion as such, and there are scientific studies proving the benefits of both the physical practice and the meditation aspect. So, for me, it's not a question of belief, at least in the sense of faith, though I do also believe in it, both scientifically and experientially.

    However, she's a chain-smoking, jet-setting business woman, so maybe she can't afford to "believe" as it would challenge too many of her preconceptions...

    Hope you're having a good week.
    Hugs,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete