Friday, 9 March 2012

Hope and Haircuts

What a lovely way to end the week!  Today's card from the Tarot of the Mystic Spiral (Lo Scarabeo, 2012) is the Stars.

In this version, two waterfalls pour over a mountainside, one clearly falling into the pool where a blonde woman stands, naked and sylph-like.  The other seems to flow into the earth itself.  Around the woman fly two butterflies, or maybe fairies.  I also like the arrangement of the stars - seven smaller stars off to the right - perhaps representing the Pleiades or Seven Sisters - and a single, large star to the left - Venus, maybe, representing beauty and femininity?  Including the mountain peaks (representing higher truths and enlightenment) the fossil shell in the rock (representing the passage of aeons) and the flowers in the foreground (passing beauty) there is plenty of symbolism here.

The woman's nudity is an important element of the card, for me.  It represents our willingness to be open and vulnerable.  Probably the most traditional interpretation of this card is Hope, and I think that hope requires a willingness to risk.  If we are closed and armoured we are safer, but do not allow joy and possibility in.

Today, I get my hair cut for  the first time in about a year (one of the joys of long hair, it just gets longer).  So, my own nod to the beauty of Venus, as well as to vulnerability, as who hasn't had a bad haircut?!  Still, I remain hopeful - this hairdresser has done my hair twice before, and I liked it both times :)


I am grateful for hopes, both big and small.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you LOVE your haircut. I was just thinking yesterday that I wanted to get my hair cut, too. I think I may do that soon. My bangs are too long and I want to touch up my layers.

    Hugs to you,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MM,

    Well, I decided to go for bangs (or a fringe as we call it over here), the first time I've had them in about fifteen years! I think I like the new look, but it will take some getting used to ;)

    Hope you have a lovely weekend!
    TGIF-hugs,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chloë!

    Oooh, I'd love to see a photo of that! I mean, if you aren't feeling too shy.

    I got bangs for the first time in ages about a year ago. I think it was a year ago, anyway. I've lost track. I like them (usually). I did end up chopping a few inches off my hair. I hacked it off myself so at least I can't complain about the cost. :D

    XOXO,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi MM,

    I was tempted to hack my own hair, but resisted the urge ;) I like your bangs, and I think I like my own, too, they just take a bit of getting used to. I'll send you a pic via email when I get one - my MIL got some nice ones of us all yesterday on the Heath :)

    Hirsute hugs,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete