Saturday, 31 March 2012

In the Cards

The Steampunk Tarot. Text by Barbara Moore,
artwork by Aly Fell. © 2012, Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. 2143 Wooddale
Drive. Woodbury, MN 55125. All rights reserved. Used by permission of the
publisher.
For this first daily draw from the Steampunk Tarot (Llewellyn, 2012), Justice comes to call.

In a scarlet dress, with a silver and black corset, a red choker, and a clockwork crown, she stands between two pillars.  In front of her is a mechanical scales, with jewels on one side and a single feather on the other, perfectly balanced.  Instead of a sword in her hand, tarot cards fall from it - the Justice she metes out is not cutting, but still decisive.  Karma determines the cards we are given, the hand we have to play.

What is in the cards is often influenced by what has gone before, as any card sharp can tell you.  Or as Barbara puts it: "You play the hand that you were dealt.  The way you play it will determine your next hand."  And so, in Justice, we are often asked to weigh up the past in order to decide how best to move forward, and to consider the consequences of our actions.  Sometimes the weighing up is done by some force or institution outside ourselves - law courts, or life itself...

In fact, what I see in this card today is a hope that karma will be kind to me.  Yesterday, things did not go to plan!  Mercury retrograde meant that my on-line calendar didn't show my mother was coming over, so she turned up completely unexpectedly, and with me totally unprepared.  Not that it was bad, but it meant that Big Boy was off at a play group, and I was exercising when she arrived, and with nothing in the house for lunch.  I had also had plans to hoover the place - our cats are molting like mad in this warm, almost summery weather - and of course to spend some more time with this beautiful Steampunk Tarot.

On top of that, having called the community nurse for some test results for BB at 11:30 and being told he was fine, then she called back at 3:30pm to say, actually, sorry, he needs antibiotics which, if you want them before next week, you'll have to pick up between 4:30 and 5:30pm.  Oh, and it's 20 minutes either way to get where I had to go for them.  So, my whole day pretty much disappeared.

I'm hoping today will allow me a little more breathing space, and the opportunity to catch up on some blog reading.

I am grateful that karma can sometimes be a lady.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to own this deck. I loved your reading of the parasol/corset/clockwork as well. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arwen,

    Glad you liked the steampunk spread, it was fun to think up. The deck is really gorgeous, and the book is great, too - you certainly won't regret it :)

    ReplyDelete