Wednesday, 28 March 2012

The Sleeping Goddess

Once again, the Maat Tarot (Julie Cuccia-Watts, 2006) offers us a quite unusual depiction, this time of the High Priestess.

Here we have the Maiden aspect of the Goddess: dormant, fertile earth as yet untilled.  She is asleep, not yet awakened to all the potentials of life, with choices still ahead of her that only she can make.  In her sleep, she is in touch with her dreams and intuition. 

The spiralling milky-way behind her also makes me think of Hathor, the mother aspect of the Goddess still ahead of her.  The censor at her side is a reminder of the role of the High Priestess as voice of the oracle, avatar of the Goddess.

In the book, Julie talks about a site in Malta where a huge temple-mausoleum was built and a sleeping Goddess statue was found.  She suggests that, in her dreams, the Priestess could commune with the ancestors. 

I like the idea of communing with my ancestors today, taking some time to honour them and learn from them.  My maternal grandmother, in particular, calls to me.  She was such a kind and wise woman, as well as a vain one.  She would have liked this beautiful and youthful image.

I am grateful for the wisdom of my ancestors.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a nice deck...very tempting!

    I love your description of your grandma. I love the part about vanity. Ah sigh! I wish I wasn't vain. I wish I didn't care about shallow things, but I guess it's hard to avoid entirely.

    Weirdly Yours,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MM,

    Would you believe, sometimes I wish I was more vain?! I have often left the house without remembering to re-brush my hair once it was dry, and rarely bother with make-up or jewellry.

    Differently weird yours,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete