Saturday, 31 March 2012

Some Steampunk Straight Talk

The Steampunk Tarot. Text by Barbara Moore,
artwork by Aly Fell. © 2012, Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. 2143 Wooddale
Drive. Woodbury, MN 55125. All rights reserved. Used by permission of the
publisher.
I've long been a fan of three card spreads.  Short but sweet, with enough depth to get your teeth into, though without being overwhelming.  The two card spread, on the other hand, has often felt like it fell a bit short.  However, in the Maat Tarot app they had a couple of two card spreads that really caught my eye: appearance/reality, and self/other.

Wanting to get to know the Steampunk Tarot (Llewellyn, 2012) a bit better, I decided to give the appearance/reality spread a go.  My question: what do I need to know about my current, week-long chocolate binge?  While I think I know what the main issue is - too much stress and too little sleep recently - I decided that, as it's been on my mind, a little extra input wouldn't hurt.

Appearance: Four of Wands

On the face of it, my chocolate eating seems like it's a way of celebrating, or at least of giving myself a treat after a hard day (and night).  Deeper down, there's my belief that if I was truly in a Four of Wands state - happy, relaxed, feeling celebratory - then I wouldn't want to eat chocolate, I wouldn't need that kind of treat, as I'd be happy even without it.

The Steampunk Tarot. Text by Barbara Moore,
artwork by Aly Fell. © 2012, Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. 2143 Wooddale
Drive. Woodbury, MN 55125. All rights reserved. Used by permission of the
publisher.
Reality: Three of Wands

What this tells me is that I need to bring some determination, clarity of vision and strength of will into play, if I want to put a stop to this behaviour.  Without those three pillars, I will have no ships to come in, no success to my venture.

In terms of determination, perhaps a reminder about why I don't want to eat chocolate, and what I gain from not doing so.  Clarity of vision comes from exploring in more depth what it is that is driving my eating - what emotions, what stressors, and what I can do about them.

As for strength of will, I need to find ways to help myself resist temptation, both at the level of not buying chocolate in the first place, and in not eating it if it is in the house.  Part of that is about making sure that I eat well, with plenty of protein, so that at a physiological level I don't have cravings.  The emotional ones are somewhat harder to deal with.  Those might require a different spread...

3 comments:

  1. Now this is a reading I can relate to (she says, chewing an oatmeal cookie). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great spread i may have to try out myself sometime, and love that three of wands card.

    good luck getting your chocolate eating habits to whatever you want them to be ;]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carla,

    Sadly, it's a common problem. Our obesogenic culture doesn't help, with images of yummy stuff constantly bombarding us and loads of high calorie, low nutrient goodies always easily available. Though I remember reading somewhere that if we only ate stuff we'd baked ourselves we'd do much better...

    Hi Bonkers,

    I was very impressed with this spread, and it can be used for lots of questions :) Although it's not a flashy card, I think this Three of Wands is actually one of the best I've ever seen - I love the fact that the three wands aren't merely decorative, but are actually an important symbolic part of the image!

    ReplyDelete