Friday, 30 March 2012

Steampunk Interview

Corset image taken from AniaM's lovely shop :)
After an arduous wait, at last the fabulous Steampunk Tarot by Barbara Moore and Aly Fell has arrived.  I have been watching the progression of this deck for a year, with the little tasters and snippets Barbara offered on the blog.  The publishers, Llewellyn, as well as the author and artist, have all done a beautiful job in producing this gorgeous deck.  It's a pleasure to look at, smooth to shuffle, and the book is both elegantly written and full of fascinating gems.

A deck this good deserves to be explored on its own terms.  So, I devised a spread specifically for this fun Steampunk Tarot.

The Steampunk Tarot. Text by Barbara Moore,
artwork by Aly Fell. © 2012, Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. 2143 Wooddale
Drive. Woodbury, MN 55125. All rights reserved. Used by permission of the
publisher.
1) Parasol - what is the most useful thing you bring to the table? - Six of Wands

"What ho, madam!  Now let me see, I'd say that a great deal of confidence, a will to succeed, and an ability to marshal support to help in any endeavour are the main traits on offer.  My confidence is infectious, helping you to make the most of whatever you have at your disposal.  Also, my passion for things shines through, and will draw out the same in you. 

So, I can help you find what most matters to you, give you the confidence to make a go of it, and help you gather what you need to achieve it.  Is that enough, my dear?"



The Steampunk Tarot. Text by Barbara Moore,
artwork by Aly Fell. © 2012, Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. 2143 Wooddale
Drive. Woodbury, MN 55125. All rights reserved. Used by permission of the
publisher.
2) Corset - what restrictions do you have? - Three of Cups

"Well, I will admit I can be a bit flighty and flirty.  I will play with your emotions, but it's always just for fun.  After all, what good is life if we don't live it with passion, and allow ourselves to experience it fully?

As with the two charming ladies I'm sat with here, I bring duality to all that I do.  That can feel a bit challenging at times, I have no doubt.  However, as my lovely author Barbara Moore put it so well: 'Just as tarot explores contrary energies, so does steampunk, combining as it does reality and fantasy, magic and machine, facts and imagination.'  So, I may not be a simple and easy read - I have plenty of depths.  Still, if you want to explore yourself and your world, the past, present and future, you don't want something simple and one-dimensional, now do you?"

The Steampunk Tarot. Text by Barbara Moore,
artwork by Aly Fell. © 2012, Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. 2143 Wooddale
Drive. Woodbury, MN 55125. All rights reserved. Used by permission of the
publisher.
3) Clockwork - what can I learn from you about how life works and what drives me? - Four of Wands

"I will help show you how to celebrate life!  I'm not just into having fun, though.  I know that it takes work to make a party a success, and as I said above, I know how to get things moving and muster help.

Still, I bring a sense of the joy of life - never a bad thing to be reminded of!  I will remind you of innocent pleasures, and how to shine a light on everything you undertake.  A strong sense of the abundance of possibilities available means that I will always remind you to look for the positives, for what you can do, and how you can have fun while you do it."


Well, what a very friendly welcome, and a forthright but joyful approach.  I think we shall be good friends.

7 comments:

  1. That is fantastic! I love your spread and the cards you got.

    But really do you have to put the copyright on every image? I didn't know that. I should know that. I thought maybe you could just have it once and say "all images...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my corset!!!!!

    Great idea for a spread, Chloe - love it!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a corset like that!! But not in purple; teal and gold for me!! :) Love that Chloe and you're right: the Copyright information is a little pain in the bottom and does distract from the wonderful art work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, is this copyright thing a new feature on your blog? I haven't noticed it before. Or is it just for this deck?

    Steampunk's not for me...plus I have a lot of tarot catching up to do. I'm excited because today, Cosmic Tarot arrived! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya ladies!

    Barbara, yep, that's following strict instructions. Also can't edit anything onto the images (ie. take a pic and add in the numbers to show the spread design), or just show parts of the pic. So then, when they say the rules are to stop on-line piracy... :/

    Carla, I certainly won't be doing this for other, non-Llewellyn decks on m'blog. But having asked and been told, I feel I have to follow their policy. Just means I won't ask anyone but independent publishers from now on. After all, no-one else follows those guidelines, and they don't even make sense!

    Ali, didn't realise that was your corset - too cool!

    Louise, teal and gold sounds lovely!

    Thanks for the feedback on the spread, I enjoyed designing it. And I do love this deck - may not be for everyone, but I think it's beautiful, fascinating and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely deck, lovely reading. i have a feeling reading your draws is going to be rather enabling :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, Bonkers, really, I would NEVER try to enable anyone ;D I just write about things as I see them. If you find them delightful, too, well that's simply good taste :)

    ReplyDelete