Monday, 30 April 2012

Contrary Interpretations

Today's card from Holly DeFount's Incidental Tarot (2012) is another Minor, this time from the suit of Arrows (Wands).  I found this attribution a little confusing at first, as I have a couple of other decks (such as the Wildwood Tarot) where the suit of Arrows is Swords.  Still, I can see the sense in Holly's attribution, too, as Arrows are all about acting outside of yourself, and being focused and directed.

So, here we see eight arrows point up, with a ninth crossing in front of them, and with a white flag/ribbon/bandage/banner wrapping around it.  It's not hard to see traditional RWS interpretations of defensiveness and needing to carry on despite previous hardships.  However, once again, very different interpretations are also possible.  For example, the polar opposite of the RWS, saying instead that we are waving the white flag to gain freedom from a limiting situation.

That's certainly something that has been going through my mind, and which comes up again this Monday as I head to college for supervision.  I have done nothing about my Masters dissertation this week.  I've pretty much given up on it for the moment.  If I don't get it done, I'll still get a Postgraduate Diploma and be able to carry on training.  But I do still have two and a half years to get it done.  So, I'm not giving up on it entirely, but perhaps just saying that if it doesn't happen this week, this month, or even this year, it won't be the end of the world.

I am grateful for a breather, a time to reassess priorities, and give myself a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment