Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Dynamic Dancer

The Steampunk Tarot. Text by Barbara Moore,
artwork by Aly Fell. © 2012, Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. 2143 Wooddale
Drive. Woodbury, MN 55125. All rights reserved. Used by permission of the
publisher.
Another gorgeous card from the Steampunk Tarot (Llewellyn, 2012)!

There is so much energy to this version of the Two of Swords, which is a card I associate with being static, or perhaps being in dynamic tension.  Here, we see a woman standing on one of three clockwork cogs that are mainly immersed in a lake with rocky borders.  She seems to be getting a charge from the cog, rising up through her feet as she stands in pointe.  She holds her two swords out to either side of her, and directly above her head is a full moon.  Her outfit and hair are more 1980's than 1880's :)

This card really speaks to me about feeling your way through a situation, guided less by clarity of vision and more by intuition, and perhaps a bodily sense of energy and balance.  Opposing ideas challenge us to find the path that will work best for us, that will lift us up.  The environment suggests the answer lies in our unconscious and our emotions.  Or perhaps, quite simply, we need to stop acting as though we're treading on eggshells, and just take the plunge.

Barbara Moore describes this as putting an awful lot of energy into not achieving anything, and I guess I can see that, too.  Balancing ballerina-style while holding two swords would be no mean feat!  As she says: "Eventually she will tire, and something will give way.  She will have to take off the blindfold, take stock of her situation, and make a decision."

I feel a little like this woman when I think about my placement.  The fundamental choice: to stay or go?  It may not be my choice, in the end, as it's possible the placement will disappear entirely, having relocated this week.  Even if it isn't disbanded, I need to consider whether I want to continue there.  It's now over an hour's journey away from my home (before, I could sometimes make it in 45 minutes).  The whole way it's administered is changing.  And we may have to change our client base, too.  Still, I really like the people there...

For the moment, I'm definitely just waiting to see, balancing until a push comes one way or another.  If the charity is disbanded, then I won't have to choose, the choice will be made for me.  If not, well, that's a different story.

I am grateful not all choices are mine to make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment