Monday, 2 April 2012

Emotional Intoxication

The Steampunk Tarot. Text by Barbara Moore,
artwork by Aly Fell. © 2012, Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. 2143 Wooddale
Drive. Woodbury, MN 55125. All rights reserved. Used by permission of the
publisher.
Another Court Card pays a call today from Barbara Moore's Steampunk Tarot (Llewellyn, 2012).

This time it is the Page of Cups who raises her glass to us as she stands by the seashore.  Above her flies what looks like a jet-powered dirigible.  And as for her clothing, well, I don't know where to start!  Barbara Moore describes her as someone with "a rather alarming wardrobe" :)  Still, I have to say I love the clockwork detail on the hem of her jacket!  Everything else she's wearing though...

The sea behind her is gently rolling in, not powerful waves that would crush us, yet still a force to be reckoned with.  And the fact that there is an extremely fast-moving dirigible above her says something about the speed with which her thoughts and fancy flit from one thing to the next.  Because this Page invests herself emotionally, but the "depth" of her feeling does not equate with commitment.  The cup in her hand holds red wine, speaking of the intoxication she feels from her emotions.

Still, there's something to be said for this Page's willingness to fall in love, be it with a person, a thing, or an idea.  Emotional openness and a joy in experimenting, in trying new things, are good qualities if we want to stay young at heart.

Perhaps today I can love myself a little better, it's something I've been failing at of late.

I am grateful that each day is a new chance to be.

2 comments:

  1. As I shuffled through this deck when the arrived, this card caught my eye and I felt a real pang of love for it...because of the outfit! The 'alarming' (yes!) neck ruff aside, I just love those pantaloons, tights and jacket - so cool!

    As for the card's meaning - yes, I feel this page differs from how I normally interpret the Page of Cups.
    "Because this Page invests herself emotionally, but the "depth" of her feeling does not equate with commitment. The cup in her hand holds red wine, speaking of the intoxication she feels from her emotions."
    I do see the PC as someone who is enthusiastic and excited to experience new emotional depths, but I've never thought of her as flitting or uncommitted before - more very genuine and open-hearted. However, this rather aloof-looking page has a very different take - she reminds me of me when I was a teenager, experimenting with fashion and believing that I was really 'going there' with all the new emotions that teen angst had to offer.
    Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LR,

    Yes, that nod to teenager-dom is one of the things Barbara highlights, too :) And I'm certainly glad there aren't pictures of some of the outfits I wore as a teenager ;D I like your idea of really plunging into all those new emotions, living them to the full...

    ReplyDelete