Thursday, 12 April 2012

Midas Touch

The Silenus Tarot (Mike Indovina, 2009) doesn't pull its punches with this card.

At first glance, the image is very reminiscent of the RWS Nine of Cups. A well-fed man sits in front of a table draped in a blue cloth, with ( in this case, and rather annoyingly) seven golden cups on it.  Here, there are also some golden apples and grapes, which become clearer later. 

Some see this as the wish card, but right from the first course I took my teacher asked, what might be hiding under the table?  And a few decks, such as the Maat, or the Ancestral Path (which was my second deck ever), more clearly suggest that we take care with what we wish for.

Here, then, the myth Mike associates with the card is that of King Midas, who wishes for wealth. He is granted his wish, and all he touches turns to gold, which is small comfort when he finds he can no longer eat (gold grapes, anyone?) and he accidentally kills his own daughter!

I see the positive side of this card in my life today.  We are returning home after a week's holiday in France.  While it has had it's good points, I will be grateful to get home to my creature comforts, like wifi I can access from a warm living room rather than a cold and windy garden!

I am grateful for my home, sofa and bed!

4 comments:

  1. I like that idea, with the gold grapes etc. Nicely done. It reminds me of that Skittles advert. Be careful what you wish for. Quite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post and interesting deck... never heard of this one before! Off to check it out some more since it's obvious from just this one card that a lot of thought has gone into the making of it. Thanks Chloe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. Great card. This deck is really whimsical and cartoonish, isn't it?

    I'm glad you get home to your own bed and comforts. I saw a muppet version of the King Midas story recently with Pele and it was really funny (but apropos). No amount of gold can replace simple comforts.

    Much Love!
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi PLN,

    I've never been a fan of seeing cards as all good or all bad, so the nuances added to "make a wish" definitely appeal to me :)

    Hi Lisa,

    It is a very interesting deck - I love mythology anyway, so it really works for me :) Will be interested to hear what you decide...

    Hi MM,

    Well, didn't get to spend as much time in my bed as I'd have liked, with BB ill. Still, it is lovely to be home! The Muppet Midas sounds hilarious, did Pele enjoy it, too?

    Hugs,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete