Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Runway to Healthy Eating

The Steampunk Tarot. Text by Barbara Moore,
artwork by Aly Fell. © 2012, Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. 2143 Wooddale
Drive. Woodbury, MN 55125. All rights reserved. Used by permission of the
publisher.
I was reading Rowan Tarot’s blog yesterday and came across this spread, originally from the Mystic Lenormand LWB, called the Runway Spread.  As I’m on holiday with nothing but the wonderful Steampunk Tarot, I used that instead. 

Carla used the spread to look at her path to weight loss and achieving vibrant health.  She chose a Significator and an Outcome card looking through the cards face up, and the three steps to achieve them randomly.  However, part of my problem right now is that I’m not really sure what I want my goal to be.  I would like to lose a little weight, about 3 kilos or half a stone or 6-7 pounds, depending on how you prefer to measure these things ;)  On the other hand, I’m not desperately unhappy with my weight. 

More importantly, I want to feel that I am eating healthily.  Last year I managed, after nearly 40 years of chocaholism, to quit sweets, chocolates, cakes and biscuits for 11 months!  However, since Christmas I’m off the bandwagon.  I’ve managed a few days or weeks without, and I haven’t been overeating the way I sometimes have done in the past, but I’m not entirely happy with it.  Although I didn’t lose much weight last year, my cholesterol levels did drop dramatically, and I felt I had more energy, as well as feeling I was doing my liver good.  (Did you know, eating lots of chocolate can be as bad for your liver as being an alcoholic!)

I’m wondering, though, whether there is a way to achieve a happy medium.  Can I eat sweets sometimes, without going into binges or eating it everyday?  For example, last week I went five days without, but then had a pain au chocolat (we are on holiday in France, after all).  Like AA, that means I have to start my count again from zero.  However, there are studies that suggest that such all-or-nothing methods are highly demotivational - if you’ve “sinned” there’s a certain feeling of, “Well, I may as well make the most of it if I’m being bad” so you’re REALLY bad.  Or “Back to zero, I’m such a loser!” - also not the best for on-going motivation.

So anyway, I’m not sure what I want my goal to be.  Good health, I guess, but that seems a little nebulous - definitely not a SMART goal!  Due to this uncertainty, I decided to let the cards tell me where I am now, and where I should aim towards at the moment, and the three steps that will help me on this path.

Image from Anna K Tarot, as I am not allowed
by Llewellyn to show any more Steampunk images


Where I am - Five of Pentacles

In Barbara Moore’s Steampunk Manual, she talks from the point of view of the woman holding a child’s hand as they both slog through snow.  She hurts more for the suffering of the child than for her own.  This is certainly an important part of where I am now.  As I mentioned in a post a couple of weeks ago, when Big Boy is unwell, my eating gets worse, and given his medical issues he’s unwell quite a lot :(

Another thing I see here is the idea of feeling hard-done-by.  There’s a bit of me that just wants to be “normal”, to be able to eat things that other people eat.  After all, everyone eats chocolate, right?!  Over Easter, Facebook was full of Happy Chocolate Day messages!

Where I should head - Two of Swords

The first thing that comes to mind here is the idea of getting some balance through having two different ideas to weigh up.  Perhaps balancing between “all” and “nothing”.  It’s a strange card to have as a goal, to be in a stalemate.  However, I guess holding steady in the middle would be quite a good thing for me - not the extreme of chocolate with every meal, nor the extreme of veganism and three hours of exercise daily that was once my regime. 

Another thing I see here, based on Barbara’s interpretation of the card, is that it might be good for me to have a couple of things that so occupy me that I expend all my energy on them, with none left over for thinking about what I am or am not eating.  Not sure how practical that is, as I’ve generally found it is when I’m stressed that I’m most likely to eat unhealthily.  So, they would have to be distractions that occupy me without stressing me...

Finally, I notice the full moon over her head.  For this reading, what this says to me is that I also need to respect the pull of the moon and my cycles - when I last had a big biscuit day, it was my time of month.  So, there are other biometric cycles, or the influence of sleeplessness, which will also affect my cravings.  I need to honour that, and perhaps not beat myself up about it.

Image from the Steele Wizard Tarot
How to get from here to there? - The Magician, Ace of Wands, Knight of Pentacles

The Magician tells me I already have the resources I need to achieve this, I just need to find the will and direction in which to apply them.  For example, just writing this post I realised that I need to set myself a SMART goal, rather than staying so nebulous.  Barbara comments that the Magician makes things seem easy, because of the will invested in spending hours to practice and develop the appropriate skills.  So, this also suggests I need to put some real dedication into this pursuit, be it of healthy eating or of finding distractions.

The Ace of Wands promises me the energy to find that will and direction, and tells me to seize it and use it when it comes.  In the Steampunk version of this card, the base of the wand is an intricate knot work, which transforms via the clockwork of hard work and planning into an organic, living branch with fruit.  This suggests that with this Ace, too, there is an element of planning and determination to create something which can then grow on by itself.

Finally, the Knight of Pentacles reminds me (as other readings have, too) that this is a lifetime’s process, a long, steady slog.  All that Ace of Wands and Magician energy then has to be applied on a day-to-day basis.  It might also suggest that I get the help and support of someone who is practical and grounded.

I notice the total absence of Cups from this reading (not that surprising in a five card draw, but still worth paying attention to).  I think this says that emotion is not my friend here.  Getting over-emotional encourages me to eat badly.  So, I need to stay practical, and logical in order to properly apply my will in this matter.

I like this spread!  Hope you'll let me know if you give it a go :)

3 comments:

  1. I think that 2 of swords sounds particularly apt. Balanced eating, not overdoing it but not over restricting, really does seem the best course in terms of long-term sticking to it and satisfaction. Another thing that occurs to me, just an idea, in regards to those chocolate cravings is some kind of chocolate flavored 'healthier foods'? I have no idea what you have in shops in the UK, but here for example there are these all natural fruit and nut bars that come in chocolate flavors among other things. Perhaps some kind of balance of that kind of thing + the real stuff as a treat sometimes might be helpful? Just an idea.

    In any case, good luck, and nice reading. :] Too bad you couldn't post that lovely 5 pents from Steampunk. I saw it on Moore's blog and it's one of my fav cards in that deck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very useful reading! I may try the spread tarot style, as you did, and compare it to my Lenormand reading! (Now, if I could stop baking cakes between readings, that might help).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonkers,

    Thanks for the suggestion. Overall, I tend to be a bit leary, of "taste's like" things. They generally don't, and I'd rather have a little of the real thing. Plus, they sometimes hide some surprising nasties. Still, the idea of getting a balance between chocie treats and other kinds of sweet sounds do-able. I like oats soaked in smoothie, with fruit - totally natural, and also delicious, no guilt at all!

    And yes, a shame I couldn't post the other Steampunk cards. I agree, the Five of Pents is amazing. I love the way they changed the perspective on it! Ah well...

    Hi Carla,

    I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with if you do try it "Tarot style" ;) And hey, at least if you bake your own you know exactly what's in them!

    ReplyDelete