Wednesday, 4 April 2012

Silenus Tarot Review

The Silenus Tarot is a small, independently published tarot deck based on the mythology of Ancient Greece.  Created by Mike Indovina, it's a little gem, well-thought out and executed, and with excellent production values.  In this video review you can see all 78 cards, with a discussion of some of the mythology, as well as my favourite cards and a few I struggle with.  In particular, several of the Court Cards don't conform to my ideas about what they represent.  That isn't a bad thing - it makes me stop and think a bit more :)  Overall, it's a very readable deck that adds a lot to traditional meanings through the symbolism and related myths.

4 comments:

  1. I think this a lovely deck. My friend has it and I have seen a few cards on her blog. I think it is so lively and has a lot of movement. I can see where there may be confusion with a few cards but I like how you see that as a positive way of stretching your ideas around them in those cases.

    I like this deck because it's unusual. There are so many polished decks about at the moment and I prefer this approach. It remimds me of Asterix a bit (remember him?), but despite being cartoonlike, there is a deepness to it. It is what it is and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

    Lovely to see all cards. Thanks for the review.

    PLN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PLN,

    I hadn't thought of it in those terms, but I can see the similarity to Asterix, which I read a lot when I was a kid :) And I agree, it's nice to have a deck that is less about being pretty, and more about fun, yet with plenty of layers, too.

    I'll be blogging with this deck all next week, if you're interested ;)
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete