Sunday, 1 April 2012

Soft Queen?

The Steampunk Tarot. Text by Barbara Moore,
artwork by Aly Fell. © 2012, Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. 2143 Wooddale
Drive. Woodbury, MN 55125. All rights reserved. Used by permission of the
publisher.
A rather unusual Queen of Swords greets us from Barbara Moore's Steampunk Tarot (Llewellyn, 2012).

At first glance, she seems rather delicate and dependent, accepting a man's hand as she rises from her throne, sword held lightly in her right hand.  Upon her head is another clockwork crown, and her dress is an amazing silver, with white organza sleeves.  She also seems quite young, though I suppose that in Victorian society a woman might be considered an old maid by the age of 25.  I think what shocks me most is the fact that she is being offered a hand by a man, whom she looks at seemingly adoringly.  Neither of those are behaviours I associate with this normally headstrong, independent, sometimes harsh Queen.

However, reading Barbara's text, a different perspective comes to light: "Of course I will accompany you to the private garden.  Don't mind the sword, it is just part of the outfit."  LMFAO!  Now, that's my girl! 

Barbara describes her as someone who can come across as cold and aloof, if only because she's been hurt before and learned to protect herself.  Likewise, she won't suffer fools gladly, nor waste time on banalities.  She cuts to the heart of any matter, and will not sugar-coat the truth, but will try to be diplomatic as she knows what it's like to be on the receiving end of harsh words.

I think the person I need to be honest with today is myself.  Following on from yesterday's straight talking post, I need to gain some clarity into why I've fallen off the chocolate bandwagon.  I need to cut through my own excuses, and find what I can do.  I'll get back to you on that, I hope...

I am grateful for clarity, even when it is painful to face the truth and admit my own weaknesses.

8 comments:

  1. my, that IS a very pretty QoS (and I don't know if I mean that in a good way or a bad way, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the pretty, girly look suits the era, but it is strange as the QoS is perhaps the prettiest, most vulnerable-looking of all the Queens in this deck...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Queen of Swords is a special card to me, and this one is quite lovely, she's got a 'steel magnolia' vibe going. There is a lot of strength and determination just in the way she is gripping that sword. Her hand is limp in the man's grip--she's made no commitment there, and can slip away easily. But that sword's not going anywhere, not now, not ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carla,

    Ah, that makes a lot of sense! We don't really have a steel magnolia equivalent here, I don't think. Perhaps her dress colour supports that interpretation, too. I see what you mean about her hand in his being quite limp, and it's also true that she's giving her left hand to the man, holding the sword firmly in her right, ready to use. Okay, she's growing on me visually, as well as in Barbara's write-up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting outfit and perspective on this card, I feel like she might slice his head off at any time if he tries anything...but I don't necessarily see the Queen of Swords as cutting. I actually think the Queen of Swords is more witty, thoughtful and organization-minded than anything. There can be a cold/cutting quality if it becomes necessary, but it seems more like she is one who thinks for herself.

    You should go find a dress like this, and a sword, and do a pose! Haha.

    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Carla's comments above. What an interesting card - I too was a little disappointed at first glance, as I absolutely love the Queen of Swords. I see her as my own personal Pat Butcher, and it bothered me at first that she could seem so 'insubstantial'. But as you point out Chloe, as does Carla, she is one tough cookie. It's not about what she looks like, it's about being wise, independent, knowing her own mind and making her own choices. I imagine that she's single, and has decided that she fancies a dance - no matter who's gossiping and gasping on the other side of the ballroom. And as you pointed out, the sword's coming too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi MM,

    I like your take on the QoS, that she just thinks for herself. That can sometimes lead to people hearing what she's saying as cutting, perhaps, but might be more to do with their perception than her intention.

    Hugs,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi LR,

    I love that idea - she just fancies a dance, and is confident enough to go for it if she feels like :)

    ReplyDelete