Saturday, 12 May 2012

Carriage

This week I will be drawing from the Magic Manga Tarot (AGM Müller, 2008).  This is a somewhat non-traditional deck.  Although it seems largely RWS inspired, the pips in particular have quite different takes on the cards.  Should be fun!

For this first draw we have the Chariot, which has a rather Victorian feel to it - more of a carriage than a chariot :)  From the coachman to the carriage, from the lanterns that fly along with the carriages breakneck speed to the lamppost dividing the card, all have an old fashioned feel to them. 

As for the horses, black and white, the polarity is strong in this image. They seem almost cut in half by a lamppost or wand, as though they are emerging from a singularity. They try to charge in opposite directions: perhaps they cannot exist together, only by separating from the other as much as possible. Yet the driver holds the reins to both, and appears quite calm, focused on moving directly forward, though the carriage beneath him seems as though it may buckle under the strain.

I get a real sense of harnessing violently opposed forces from this card, yet of doing it with panache.  Personal drive is strong, as is the will to move forward, to achieve. Nothing will stop this figure, for while the energies he harnesses are wild, they are also very strong.

For me, I feel more like I cling on when forces swirl and pull me around.  Yet today I do need focus, and maybe it is that alone which makes the difference between being dragged along and actually directing ourselves. The application of will.  Okay, I'll give it my all.

I am grateful for the reminder to apply my focused intent as I choose.

Post-dict: Yay, got my presentation finished! It took quite a bit of effort to rein in my desire to do other, more fun, stuff, but I kept the image of the Chariot in my mind to help me persevere - gotta love the tarot ;)

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I have been eying up this deck for years. Saw it in a shop once and passed it up, I don't know why. So I'll be interested in seeing more of it on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PLN,

      With your current interest in Manga, this is going to be a "must-have" I think. It's a really interesting, not-totally-traditional deck. I'm not sure I like it as much as the Lo Scarabeo Manga Tarot, because the colours are less vibrant, and because it is non-traditional, and also it's a bit more sexual (you'll see what I mean with tomorrow's card), and I just love the LS Manga's gender reversals. Still, it's definitely an interesting and "pretty" deck.

      Delete
  2. I don't have the LoS Manga either ...

    I have the one by Selina Lin, which was a present this birthday. It's a little girly and whimsical. Also, the Fey, which has touches of Manga about it.

    I'm looking forward to seeing where this deck goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I can't believe you don't have the LS Manga, either! Maybe I'll post with that next week, so you can compare the two ;) Love the Fey as well!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete