Monday, 28 May 2012

Crafty Weekend

A while back I started knitting again, after more than two decades, and not having been very proficient in the first place.  My next challenge to myself in the craftiness stakes was to learn to crochet!  I love the look of it - just a single hook and your hands, it somehow seems more "natural" to me.  However, time being what it is, I had done no more than skim a couple of "beginners" books. 

This weekend, though, I determined that I needed to make some flowers (long story).  I bought a magnetic flower painting kit, with the results you can see.  Yep, I can't paint for toffee, either, but it was quite fun to do. 

I also thought: why not make this my first crochet project?  I looked in the books I had and found three different flower patterns, but came smack up against the issue that I just don't understand patterns yet.  It's like I have a vague idea what ss, tc, dc, htc, and ch all mean, but when put with numbers and rounds and such I simply feel confusion. 

Being the double Gemini that I am, and despite my MIL making a comment that I had managed my tarot bags without a pattern only because they are little more than rectangles anyway, I decided that at the very least I would learn a bit more about crochet by giving it a go!  And these were my results.  From left to right, they are in the order in which I crocheted them.  I wonder whether it was beginners luck, but I think my favourites were my first and last :D  The last obviously being the more planned of the two, and having experimented with several techniques in between.

So, I still can't claim to read a crochet pattern, but I do have a better understanding of how several stitches work, and can crochet in the round ;)  Probably still need to experiment some more before trying a pattern, but I can hear a beanie calling me...

8 comments:

  1. Wow.

    These are great. I especially like the third attempt. The colours make them look very sophisticated. Fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PLN,

      That's most kind of you to say. I can't really imagine anyone calling them "sophisticated", but I shall take the compliment with good grace :)

      Delete
  2. Let me introduce you to one of my other favorite bloggers! Lucy of Attic24. attic24.typepad.com is an amazing blog and she is an excellent crocheter. And? She's on the same side of the pond as you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear even looking at her blog will totally put me to shame, but I shall go have a peek ;)

      Delete
    2. Okay, no shame. That's a non-valuable emotion to me. :D Feel joy in her craftiness and all the beauty of her photos. :D And feel sad for me who bookmarks and bookmarks and NEVER picks up a hook. LOL

      Delete
    3. Hi Arwen,

      I did go look, and was humbled by her skills. However, I'm not letting it get me down - I still like my flowers and have been enjoying them daily on my altar :) As for never picking up a hook, so long as you enjoy reading, that's already a good reason to bookmark, right? ;D

      Delete
  3. These are wonderful! I am impressed at how you've taken to this medium. Very nice. I have never been good at sewing, stitching, crocheting or other fabric medium but it's on my bucket list to get much better at it. I struggle sewing a button on. I guess it is my artist's karma. I don't know what that means but I think it's funny.

    Keep on keeping on!

    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      Perhaps the problem is that button sewing is boring! If you tried creating something beautiful it might be rather different, and your artistic temperament would kick in... Take a look at the link in Arwen's comment above - that lady just crocheted a stripy floral wreath which was breathtaking (and I'm trying hard not to compare my flowers to hers as I don't want to lose my crocheting enthusiasm!)

      Arty hugs,
      Chloë

      Delete