Sunday, 27 May 2012

Do Unicorns Have Nightmares?

In the Angel Tarot Cards (Hay House, 2012) by Doreen Virtue and Radleigh Valentine, the suits are renamed for the elements, and each suit is represented by a particular magical creature.  So, Wands become Fire, and show Dragons; Cups become Water, with Mermaids; Swords become Air, with Unicorns as their creature; and Pentacles become Earth, represented by Fairies.

Today's card, the Nine of Air, is traditionally the Nine of Swords and shows a female figure, head in hands, wakeful through the night, or with nightmares hovering around her.  In this "safe and gentle" deck, we see instead nine unicorns, with the central one wakeful while his/her companions sleep.  I rather like the key phrases given.  Although they don't actually mention the words "nightmare" or "worry", that sense is definitely there.  This is where, although the deck is "safe and gentle", it still expresses traditional meanings well, and doesn't pull its punches - "expecting the worst" followed by "self-fulfilling prophecies" still puts the emphasis firmly on the querent to own their part in the "sleepless nights."

Yesterday I was worrying about today, but this card reminds me that expecting the worst never helps.  So, I shall try to purify my thoughts with meditation to try not to create my own self-fulfilling prophecy :)

I am grateful for meditation and the possibility of a nap - everything looks better after some sleep.

2 comments:

  1. I love the title of your post, and your message certainly resonates with me! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zanna,

      Thanks, I found this image quite evocative, somehow :) Hope your day went better than expected ;)

      Delete