Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Falconer

©Ricardo Minetti & Anna Lazzarini
In today's card from the Manga Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2006), the swapping of genders compared to the Rider-Waite-Smith is very apparent.

A man stands in a forest, with leaves and pentacles blowing all around.  On his left arm is a hooded falcon, and in the other hand a bunch of grapes.  He wears a green robe, loosely belted by a yellow sash, and his black hair blows in the wind.  Other than the fact that he is rather gorgeous, I am struck by the fact that the wind is such a strong factor in this card, which would seem more appropriate to the suit of swords.  While the grapes suggest abundance, the fact that the pentacles are blowing around in a rather dangerous fashion does not speak of calm or prosperity.  Rather, I fear he might be beheaded by one of the flying metal disks!  Still, he seems calm in the face of this danger, perhaps certain of his own quick reflexes, honed by years of training.

This is a card I normally adore - that sense of female independence that has been hard-earned appeals to me on many levels.  Swapping the genders around is, at first glance, disappointing.  Yet, looking deeper at the card, it brings up questions of how men may also feel the need for that supportive sense of their own worth - something it can be easy to forget as a woman in what sometimes seems a very male-centric world.  A good reminder, then, that anyone can benefit from being reminded of all they have achieved, or empowered to go out and do what they really want to :)

I am grateful for the reminder that, male, female or anything betwixt and between, we can all benefit from feeling worthwhile.

4 comments:

  1. "Other than the fact that he is rather gorgeous"

    Hmm. Can't say I noticed, Chloe .. ;)

    But I like that this card is twisted by showing a male. All men are different and I often feel the need for that supportive sense of my own world in a very driven society that I don't often feel part of. A lot of the men in this deck do feel very sensitive in this set. I like that. And I love the greens very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PLN,

    Yes, the more I think about it, the more I can see that it would be a wonderful deck for a sensitive man, as well as for a feisty woman - probably why I like it so much ;) It really addresses gender roles and temperaments from a very different place. They haven't come up yet, but cards like the Five of Wands or Five of Swords feel very different with female protagonists, too. And I think the whole colour palette is very beautiful, used purposefully and yet with an artistic eye.

    I was thinking about you, actually, when I wrote that bit - it's something I get very strongly from your blog, especially with your health issues, too. And as I say, it's a good reminder that anyone can feel devalued in our society, so we women shouldn't be overly feminist to the detriment of our "brothers" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good thing to remember indeed :]

    ReplyDelete