Friday, 25 May 2012

The Hanged Woman

We end this week of draws from the Manga Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2006) with a Major, renamed to match the gender change it illustrates.

Far from traditional imagery, here we have a naked woman doing a handstand on a rock, beneath a waterfall.  The colours are fabulous, but I have to admit the card itself makes me feel rather nervous.  While she looks athletic and calm, I can't help feeling she must surely drown with the water pouring down over her.  Yet, though it splashes down against her feet, the water doesn't seem to touch the rest of her.  Perhaps, as long as she can hold this pose, her own feet are deflecting the water, allowing her to be washed clean and to see the world through the prism of the waterfall, without suffering ill effects from it.  In that, I can see traditional ideas of a change in perspective, and a willing sacrifice made for the potential to learn.

Today my mum is coming to visit, to see Big Boy, and me and my Dear One, too.  She often offers me a very different perspective on things, so perhaps that is what this card indicates.  As for sacrifices, at the moment I feel more as though I am sacrificing my time to work, without the opportunity for growth and leaning which I might have if I were able to read, journal, meditate...  Perhaps the energy of this card is reversed for me today, or perhaps I just need to work harder to see the learning available in what I have to do :)

I am grateful for the reminder that every situation in life offers us the potential to learn and grow.

2 comments:

  1. this image and your description have a lot of significance for me right now. It will be very interesting for me to see the results when I am upright once again.

    xx,
    VK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krysten,

      Sounds like you're in a bit of a challenging spot, hope it works out for the best!

      Cxx

      Delete