Thursday, 24 May 2012

Priests Together

In the Manga Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2006), there has been a conscious choice to reverse the genders of the characters on all the cards in comparison to the RWS deck.  So here, on Major II, we meet the Priest instead of the High Priestess.  Nevertheless, I still get a distinctly Hierophant-like feeling from him.

However, there is also a big difference, perhaps a softness to him compared to traditional Hierophants.  Retaining the idea of institutional power and tradition, he seems not so much to wield it himself, but rather to focus on passing along both knowledge and power.  Instead of acolytes below an officiating priest, here a young man bows his knee to receive a crown from an older figure.  There is deference and reverence, but also a transfer of power.  It might also be that the young man is a king, being invested with spiritual authority by the Priest.  Either way, though, there is more of a balance here, not a rigid "I'm the boss of you" approach.

Today, I return home from my business trip, but I don't feel like either of these characters.  I certainly haven't been given a promotion, and nor have I taught anyone else anything.  Perhaps, though, I am a little wiser for seeing the power machinations going on around me.  I'm not very "political" when it comes to work, but that certainly puts me in the minority!

I am grateful not to have to play office politics too often!

No comments:

Post a Comment