Thursday, 31 May 2012

Two Lists for Life

©Holly DeFount
Recently, I read an article in the Harvard Business Review, and I really liked a lot of what it had to say.  In particular, the author suggested making two lists as a road map for life: a focus list and an ignore list.

For the focus list, his questions were: What are you trying to achieve? What makes you happy? What's important to you?

For the ignore list, he asked: What are you willing not to achieve? What doesn't make you happy? What's not important to you? What gets in the way?

I thought, this would make an excellent two card draw to do each day (or whenever feels relevant).  As ever, no sooner thought than done (with my much loved Incidental Tarot): "Make it so, Mr. Data" ;)

1)  Where should my focus be today?  Two of Quills (Two of Swords)

What I see here is the fact that I have a lot on my plate: a to-do list that seems to go on forever, that feels like it's enough for two people!  And that only has two things ticked off so far.  This feels more like what is important, and what I am trying to achieve, rather than what will make me happy :(   Though I guess there will be a sense of achievement when I get the list finished...

2)  What should I ignore today?  The Arrow Key (Ace of Wands)

Today I need to ignore the siren call of new projects and passions, no matter how lovely and how close to my heart.  They might make me happy in the short term, but I would also be beating myself up about not completing the things I really need to do.  Perhaps less of what isn't important to me here, and more of what gets in the way...

Next, of course, is the question of how I put this into practice.  Knowing what I should ignore is different from actually ignoring it... ;)

3 comments:

  1. Great post and spread C! I am so going to do this one today!
    xx,
    VK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krysten,

      I loved it, too, though that doesn't mean I was very good at following its advice *headslap* Still, I've done half my verbatim now... Look forward to seeing what the spread says to you :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Krysten,

    I really liked it, too, though that doesn't mean I was very good at following its advice *headslap* Still, I've done half my verbatim... Would love to hear what you get if you do this spread - love short but sweet ones :)

    ReplyDelete