Sunday, 10 June 2012

Frog Prince

Yesterday lunchtime, my Dear One started talking to me earnestly about the awful state of the world in general, the banking system in particular, how Spain was teetering on the edge, and if it went down then Portugal and Italy would follow, and Europe would drag down China and the U.S. in their wake.  Yes, lovely relaxing discussions for our romantic weekend away!

I was left feeling depressed and panicky, having trouble sleeping, and not at all romantically inclined!  Then I read a post by Arwen on happiness being infectious, and decided maybe if I could do a bit of joy seeking, I could infect my Dear One and cheer our weekend back up.  Drawing a card from the Wild Wisdom of the Faery (Blue Angel, 2009), I got Barnabus and the Prince - seen here on the background of a hotel cushion ;)

What it made me think of is a tip for getting over anger given in a great book: Communication Miracles for Couples, by Jonathan Robinson.  He suggests that, if you're feeling angry or upset with your partner, you take a few breaths and try to remember three things that you love about that person.  The theory being that anger and love are opposites and you can't actively feel them at the same time.  The card reminded me to look for the prince in my toad, and though it took a while to think of three things that I wholeheartedly love about him (as opposed to "I love that, but it's a bit annoying when...") it definitely worked.  We had a lovely evening and night, and the weekend has been mostly wonderful! ;D

6 comments:

  1. Hi prairiediva,

    I was quite impressed with how well it all worked, both me stopping being upset, and infecting him with a better mood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I might have to use this on my toad ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, they're all toads sometimes... Hope you can find the prince in there :)

      Delete
  3. I'm delighted to read this! It made me....HAPPY. :D And I like the response of three things you love instead of anger. I fear I was a bit of a crank this weekend when he woke me up to tell me my coughing was keeping him up. Yes, but **I** was sleeping. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious, Arwen! Ah, well, maybe you could give him the book, so next time you keep him awake he can remember to find the Prince/ss in you :)

      Delete