Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Childhood

©Graham & Kepple
Memories of childhood surface with today's card, the Six of Cups from the Zombie Tarot (Quirk Books, 2012) and the Housewives Tarot (Quirk Books, 2004).

Despite his rather putrid state, the little girl in the pink dress seems to still have feelings for her childhood friend.  She hugs him close, while he grins maniacally.  Are they each thinking of happy days playing in the sunshine together?  Or is he thinking about drawing her close so that he can eat her brains?

While this card speaks to happy memories of the past, or taking a child-like approach to life, it also reminds me that sometimes the things we love are not necessarily good for us.

©Buffum & Kepple
That message is also echoed in the Housewives version of the card, where we have another smiling blonde girl, this time raising a glass of pink lemonade to her lips.  While the saying "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade." springs to mind here, another thing I see is the suggestion that too much of a good thing is still too much!  While it could be a reminder of times in the past when we made the best of things and enjoyed ourselves despite the circumstances, I can't help but think if she drinks all that lemonade she'll be sick.

I think this card is a statement of where I should focus with my client today.  Her childhood gave her a lot of lemons, and though she sometimes says she doesn't want to talk about it, somehow everything seems to come back round to it...  Perhaps today I could ask her what was good about it, as that is something we've never discussed.

On a more personal level, I've been eating biscuits again the last three days, after nearly two weeks without.  Perhaps I need a reminder of why I am trying not to!

I am grateful that not all life lessons leave a bitter after taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment