Thursday, 12 July 2012

Responsibilities

©Graham & Kepple
The Zombie Tarot (Quirk Books, 2012) and the Housewives Tarot (Quirk Books, 2004) offer us quite different perspectives on the Ten of Wands today, at least at first glance.

In the Zombie version, an undead man staggers around carrying various limbs and other body parts.  At first, I wasn't sure what to make of this, then I wondered whether he was carrying them to some other Zombies.  Maybe he is taking responsibility for bringing the munchies to a Zombie party, or perhaps to feed a Zombie in such a state of decomposition that they can no longer go out and fend for themselves in the bone crunching department.

He doesn't seem to be doing a brilliant job of it, though, dropping a hand here, a foot there.  He seems to have bitten off more than he can chew ;D  And so this card acts as a good reminder to beware what responsibilities we take on, lest we drop the ball on something important because we're trying to deal with more than we can handle.

©Buffum & Kepple
The woman in the Housewives' Ten of Wands seems to have the same problem.  Drowning under the weight of brooms, mops and rakes, it doesn't look like she'll be able to do any of those tasks well unless she stops, puts something down and focuses on one thing at a time.

This card makes me think of the importance of prioritising, deciding what needs doing first and just getting on with it.  I have to admit, I tend to be a multi-tasker, doing things in little bouts between other tasks.  I think most mothers probably are: writing a letter between the kids going to school and doing the hoovering, getting the shopping before hanging the laundry, blogging just before the kids get home... Even so, there's still a need to decide what needs doing now and what can wait til later.

I've actually been pretty good lately.  Someone suggested I take on a new responsibility at my placement, and I said a firm no.  I've still got plenty on my plate, but for the moment it feels manageable.  While I'm planning on starting a new project, I'm also finishing an old one, so I think I have the balance about right *crosses fingers and touches wood*

I am grateful for the ability to say no.

2 comments:

  1. i haven't had much specific to add, but just wanted to say i have especially enjoyed how you connect/compare these particular decks to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonkers,

    Well, I think I was lucky, they really do go together very well! We'll have to see whether next week's decks are quite such a happy coupling... :D

    ReplyDelete