Saturday, 21 July 2012

Scratching Post

©Hilton & Star
After last week's "dark" decks, this week I decided to go for what some might call the opposite: a couple of "unicorn" decks ;D  To be precise, the Unicorn Tarot (U.S. Games, 1996) and the Unicorn Cards (Findhorn Press, 2008).  As one is a tarot and the other an oracle, the cards won't be the same.  Still, I thought it would be fun to see how they do or don't play into one another :D

For this first draw we have the King of Pentacles and "Choices".  The King of Pentacles shows a man in a green robe, seated on a throne.  His surroundings shade from mustard on the floor, to a warm, light brown above his head.  He holds a huge, wooden circle with an eight-pointed golden star as his "pentacle".  Above him are leaf-like decorations, and at his side a unicorn lies, rubbing its head up against him.

The unicorn recognises this King's strength and ability to provide food and warmth and other material comforts.  It seems like the King offers physical comfort to the unicorn, but I wonder if it doesn't go both ways, like with cats :)

©Cooper
The Unicorn card "Choices" suggests that we remember there are always options.  A man stands inside a dark hall, with two doorways.  One leads into another dark space, while the sceond leads out onto a sunny path through pleasant meadows.  The man is blindfolded, but the magical unicorn behind him seems to be giving him a nudge in the right direction.

Combining the message from both cards, there could perhaps be good advice coming from someone grounded, mature and practical.  Or perhaps we need to make choices today from that place of practicality and focusing on comfort and well-being.  The negative side of the King of Pentacles includes a certain hedonism: self-pampering can be good and necessary, but it can also slip into overindulgence.  May our unicorns guide us to the healthiest choice for ourselves today :D

I've been feeling pretty tired the last week, not sleeping well.  Today I will take things as easy as possible, because if I'm exhausted I can do no-one else any good, either.  And I heed well the warning to avoid overindulgence - it's easy to substitute food for sleep, but not very effective.

I am grateful for some time to take things easy.

3 comments:

  1. I agree there are always choices even when it seems there are none or we forget there are. For me these cards are telling me to remember how strong and comfortable I am with myself. To trust my abilities when faced with situations requiring a choice/option. Not always easy. As I found out earlier this week. Going into the weekend with some growth for the experience :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol,

      It's good that you can see the growth in your experience, at least :) I see it also saying to trust your higher self when faced with choices: as you say, you are stronger than you think!

      Wishing you a good weekend,
      Chloë

      Delete
  2. I looked at this deck (Unicorn Tarot) many times as a local shop holds it. It always seems very clean looking. I have a fondness for the older decks, rather than the slick ones. The seller was too expensive, but I do like it. I will keep an eye on these posts.

    ReplyDelete