Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Thievery

©Virginijus Poshkus
Today's card from the Radiant Rider Waite (U.S. Games, 2003) and the Tarot of the New Vision (Lo Scarabeo, 2003) is one which many people don't much like - the Seven of Swords.  Often seen as indicating deceit, trickery, theft or plagiarism, let's take a closer look at what the image can tell us. 

In the Radiant Rider Waite image we see a man holding five swords.  He looks back over his shoulder with a self-satisfied smile as he sneaks away from a colourful campground.  No question where the traditional interpretations come from! 

Still, he can certainly be seen another way, too.  I often associate this card with doing research.  We must often step carefully when asking questions, and we hope to leave with more ideas than we came with, enriched by our interaction with those colourful tents and different perspectives :)

©Cestaro & Alligo
The Tarot of the New Vision version also supports this interpretation.  After all, from this perspective we can see that the man is making towards a tower - often a symbol for academia ;) 

I find it interesting that in this card the swords are golden rather than silver: the difference suggests seeking enlightenment or prosperity, rather than clarity (silver mirrors), clear communication (being silver-tongued) and decisiveness (silver or steel cut better than soft gold).

Certainly, I have some research to do today, pulling together different ideas and perspectives.  So, I shall draw on this energy, and hope it helps me work smarter, not harder: an interpretation of this card which a friend of mine favours ;)

I am grateful for new ideas and perspectives.

6 comments:

  1. i quite like your alternative, research based take on this card :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonkers, it came up for me once on a reading for a client, and made a lot of sense to me... :)

      Delete
    2. I definitely like it, too. This just goes to show why it's really helpful and necessary to add additional meanings to cards rather than just falling back on the most traditional ones. I kind of hate this card because of its lying, scheming, thieving feeling. It gives me the creeps...but anyway. I do hope you can employ its more positive parts.

      Lotsa Hugs,
      MM

      Delete
    3. Hi MM,

      It's like they say, there's a positive aspect to every card if you look hard enough :)

      Lotsa hugs,
      Chloë

      Delete
  2. This came up in a spread once for my oldest daughter, and it definitely didn't have to do with the traditional meanings - but the academic aspect did make perfect sense. Not many people focus on this aspect of the card :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I say, it came up for me in a couple of readings that way. And of course, the DruidCraft version of this card also brings it to mind. One friend sees this card as working smarter, rather than harder, which can also be a useful perspective :)

      Delete