Monday, 27 August 2012

Glastonbury

©Filidoro & Penco
Even the Court cards in the Sacred Sites Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2012) are located in particular places, as well as with appropriate figures. 

Here we have the King of Swords, associated with the ruins of Glastonbury.  A bearded old man stands at the base of a hill on which we see ruins, with a tower at the top, and a path leading up to it.

In fact, this seems to be a melange of the ruins at Glastonbury Tor with those of Glastonbury Abbey.  While there are claims that Glastonbury is the site of the Apple Isle - Avalon, from the Arthurian myth - there is not much evidence of this.  Still, it has become a centre of New Age shops, centres, therapists, spirituality, and of course music festivals.  In a somewhat bizarre twist, it is also a pilgimage site for Christians.

I guess the card is suggesting, with this wise-looking old man, the Druids of yore on Avalon, with their great learning and wisdom.  Or he could be a pilgrim or priest, drawn to the site where Joseph of Arimathea is said to have brought Jesus.  In either case, someone of wisdom and devotion, book-learning and experience.

As for me, today is a Bank Holiday here in the UK.  In terms of putting my mind to use, I'm hoping it'll give me a little time to write a couple of reviews I've promised for the TABI Ezine :)  As for pilgrimages, we may make one to a modern phenomenon - the Bank Holiday weekend fairground ;D

I am grateful for blue skies.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting take on King of Swords and pilgrimage - will check it out. BTW I live just outside Glastonbury and ain't no blue skies just torrential downpour right not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you, Pippa, not much blue sky here, either now :( Still, maybe this afternoon...

      I'd never thought of the King of Swords as a pilgrim, before. It's an interesting perspective - a seeker, for sure.

      Delete
  2. I love this card and look forward to getting my own copy of this deck. Would love to visit Glastonbury someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How bad is this: I've driven through, but I've never stopped there *doh* Hope you get to go one day, Zanna :)

      Delete