Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Krakatoa

©Filidoro & Penco
On this Wednesday close to the end of August the Sacred Sites Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2012) offers us an image of a world in flames, changed inrevocably. 

A very different picture of this archetype, and yet one that brings me a clear sense of "yes, this is what the Tower means!"  A massive volcanic explosion will change the face of the man's island home, and may also lead to a frightening ride on a stormy sea in his canoe.  Yet, after it is all over, there will be new, fertile land to farm.  Perhaps not tomorrow, but eventually.  And so this card reminds us both of the power and fearfulness of Tower events, and also of their growth potential.

The image is based on the eruption in 1883 of Krakatoa, in Indonesia.  Googling, I couldn't find anything suggesting Krakatoa is seen as a sacred place.  However, it would certainly fit with Hollywood ideas of propitiating volcano gods...

As for me, I'm going through this kind of major upheaval at the moment.  I wondered when would be appropriate to write about it.  Would I draw the Empress or the Ace of Cups or the Queen of Pentacles?  No, it's the Tower, but that feels right.  In case you haven't guessed yet, I'm pregnant :) 

It's still early days, but having had a miscarriage in the past (before Big Boy was born) with little or no support, I decided that this time round I'd tell people about it.  After all, it's pretty uncomfy in a conversation to suddenly throw in, "Well, I didn't tell you I was pregnant, but I lost the baby, and that's why I'm feeling sh*t."

Whether it all works out or not, it'll be a big upheaval.  If it doesn't work out, that's pretty emotionally shocking :(  And if it does, another baby means a change in the family dynamic, new ways of living, changed sleeping arrangements, rescheduled plans..

I am grateful that Tower events always allow us to grow, in one way or another.

4 comments:

  1. (hug!)

    Wishing you luck with these big changes. On the one hand, I'm envious of such sweeping change, but on the other hand I know it can be draining and challenging...but either way I know you'll do well with it all.

    XOXO,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      Thanks for the hug and the good wishes :) I'd say you've had a pretty "Tower" time yourself, recently, between the cyber homeschooling that didn't work out and all the trouble with Blogger! Hopefully, we'll both gain something from these trials in the long run...

      XOXO,
      Chloë

      Delete
  2. LOL HUGS! Yesterday when you said you were so tired, I wanted to ask if you were P. Must be something in the TABI water. Tell Ali to CROSS HER LEGS. :D Health and love and good energy for all. If it is meant to be, she will be in your arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arwen! From your lips to the Goddesses ears - I'd love a daughter :) As for Ali, she says no chance unless it's the second coming of Christ ;D

      Delete