Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Lammas Tarot Blog Hop

©Anna-Marie Ferguson
Hello, and welcome to the Lughnasadh/Lammas Tarot Blog Hop.  If you've popped in from Johnnie Two Brows, then it looks like the links are working :) And if not, you're very welcome anyway!

This round has been wrangled by Kareena Narwani, and her topic is "Pentacles: The Fruits of Harvest".  Kareena asked us what our favourite Pentacles card is, and though I had a hard time choosing I decided it would have to be the Nine of Pentacles.  Then, the second question: from which deck?

Given the seasonal associations of Lughnasadh, sometimes called Loafmass or Lammas, with harvesting corn and converting it to bread (and beer), I decided to choose the Nine of Pentacles from the beautiful Llewellyn Tarot (Llewellyn, 2006). 

I love the way this independent woman stands in a field of golden corn, with her hair blowing gently in the breeze.  She holds a hooded hawk on her wrist, symbol of dedication and training to gain the skills which have allowed her to reap this abundance, and also of her connection to spirit. 

This card inspired me to design a quick, two card spread, and as always on these blog hops I'll use the seasonally appropriate Wheel of the Year Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2011) to try it out.  I'll call it the First Harvest Spread, and the card positions are:

©Caratti & Platano

1)  What skills have I honed this year? Queen of Swords


This rather cold Queen of Swords makes me think of Disney's evil step-mother in Snow White!  Nevertheless, I think it's true to say that I have been honing my mind, my communication skills, and my empathy.  Having just finished the "practical" aspects of a Masters in Psychotherapy (including client case studies), all those skills are ones I've been working on quite diligently for the last two and a half years. 

I also see this Queen as being a good fit for a blogger: she researches questions, and spends time crafting her sentences, and yet her focus is on the human and emotional level, unlike the practical bent of the Page or the strategic emphasis of the King.  Having blogged daily for the last year and a half, she feels like a good fit for me.

©Caratti & Platano

2) What abundance do I have to give thanks for?  Seven of Wands


Hmm, this card is very watery for a Wands card!  And a rather unhappy looking card for something to give thanks for.  Still, what I see here is that I should give thanks for the defences, strategies and strength I have developed to deal with overwhelming emotions, both my own and those of others. 

I give thanks, too, for the support I have to deal with difficult situations. I see that support from my Dear One, from my mother and friends, and from the wonderful on-line and blogger communities I am happy to be a part of!  Hats off to you all :)

I hope you'll give this little spread a go, and in the meantime hop on round to Joy's lovely site :)

18 comments:

  1. I give thanks for being able to learn from so many bloggers like yourself! Have a fantastic first harvest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely gratitude, John, definitely with you on that one :) Happy harvest to you, too!

      Delete
  2. Well said, John! Chloe's always got some great wisdom to share. I just wish she didn't have so darn many decks to tempt and enable me on. (Bad girl) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me: Chloë "Tarot Temptation" :) I couldn't enable others if I hadn't first been enabled myself ;D

      Delete
  3. I always rather liked the Wicked Stepmother in Snow White and our abundance is all your insightful blog posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly wouldn't mind looking like her most recent incarnation - Charlize Theron ;) Thanks, Ania!

      Delete
  4. Wow--that is super wicked! How rude of them! You haven't gotten naughtier by chance, have you? Hehe. :D

    I liked your interpretation. I'm glad we have you around--it makes everything better!

    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      Hmm, might have gotten naughtier ;D Glad to have you around, too, m'dear!

      Holiday hugs,
      Chloë

      Delete
  5. ooooh I can just see her talking with the mirror!!!! Actually, she IS a good fit for a blogger, isn't she?

    Just like the Walt Disney Queen, we write on our blogs and really, we have no idea whether we are just talking to a mirror (the laptop screen!) or whether the magic of the intertubes will help us make a connection...

    Congratulations on blogging on a daily basis for so long, it's not easy to be interesting and enlightening EVERY DAY, but YOU manage to pull it off!!!!

    Thanks for being there to brighten up my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your Disney Queen interpretation of the card - very good! As for blogging every day, as you say, it is a way to try to make a connection - so thank you for being there so I'm not just talking to myself ;)

      Delete
  6. Skills and gratitude. Very good to combine them in a reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, gratitude is a practice I try to bring into every aspect of my life. And I am grateful for the chance to share in this blog hope with everyone :) Loved your post on the dance of life!

      Delete
  7. Yep, what they all said. How you keep doing this and being interesting every day is a harvest of ideas miracle in itself. I shall have to steal your "present a spread" idea for the next Blog Hop. Gives folks something to take away.

    And when I did your spread here with the Universal Tarot of Marseille (just the closest complete and shuffled deck to hand), I got the Knight of Swords and Ace of Wands. So, while you and your Queen have been honing intellectual skills with an empathetic flavor, seems I've been going gangbusters just sharpening my Tarot and Lenormand skills, but perhaps I would do well to make sure I don't go too fast and miss some contemplative aspect I need to integrate. And I am looking at new client opportunities in my editing and book indexing business, so the Ace of Wands fits. I do like better the kinds of projects that are coming from my clients right now.

    Thanks, Chloe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read m'blog, and for trying the spread yourself, Joanne! I like your interpretation of the Knight of Swords, though I might add that you bring greater analytic skills to it than the Queen would. Glad to hear that you're getting the kinds of projects you want from your clients - shows you're on the right path, I reckon :)

      Delete
  8. I have so enjoyed reading your blog, you have an easy style which is very uplifting. I am looking forward to trying out your spread - and also checking out the Wheel of the Year deck - oh you are just SO bad, as if I need any further temptation! Brightest blessings for a magical day - FS xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, sorry FS, I should probably put a warning on my blog - ENABLING IN PROGRESS ;D
      Brightest blessings to you, too,
      Chloë xx

      Delete