Saturday, 4 August 2012

Kyanite

Permutt & Garner
A Court card comes a-visiting today from the Crystal Tarot (Cico Books, 2010) and the Herbal Tarot (U.S. Games, 1978) - the fiery Knight of Wands.

In the Crystal Tarot version we see a red-haired young man upon a white horse, draped in a blue-green cloth.  The man wears an orange overtunic, decorated with a wand that is the suit emblem for the pips of his element.  The associated crystal is Kyanite, of which the book says: "Kyanite will aid communication skills on all levels and help slow you down, so you don't fly past and miss opportunities."  That fits well with notions of this Knight charging off gamely chasing whatever has most recently caught his fancy :)

The image makes me think of the way we often miss what is right under our noses, so intent are we on some goal, real or imagined.  I wonder what is under the horse's dress...  Okay, I couldn't find the official name for that kind of thing, though a soft pad that goes under the saddle is called a numnah - I kid you not!  The point is, the Knight may not know what is going on right underneath him, as his focus is out there in the world.

©Tierra & Cantin
The Herbal Tarot Knight of Wands wears an armoured helm, so he too may not have as broad a vision as one might wish for.  Going on foot, he looks determined, resolute.  The herb he is associated with is Aconite, a poisonous herb.  The LWB warns that aconite should only be used in a detoxified form or in minute homeopathic doses.  As such, it is a metabolic stimulant.

Personally, I would have thought that the Knight of Wands would need the opposite - something to calm him down.  I guess, though, that aconite would help give someone his energy and hot-bloodedness...

I have a couple of projects I'm quite enthused about at the moment, including the intention to buy some pens today to write on these Crystal Tarot cards!  I don't like always having to look in the book to know which crystal they represent ;)  I'll post some scans/pics once they're done - if I haven't ruined them in my Knight of Wands haste :/

I am grateful for the reminder that passionate enthusiasm is all well and good, but we also need to take time to see what is right in front of us.

4 comments:

  1. I adore the Herbal. It was my very first deck that I ever clicked with. Love these two together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ashamed to admit I've never really worked with the Herbal before. Like Carla says, I wish I had a working knowledge of herbalism, but it hasn't yet happened. I think I'd need to really spend time with this deck, but there are so many decks, so many other things in my life... Still, I'm not giving up on it, and will at least enjoy this brief week with it :)

      Delete
  2. I owned the Herbal and I felt bad about it languishing in my collection unused, as it is particularly lovely. I thought for a long time that I ought to gain a working knowledge of herbalism, but it turns out, even though I really love the 'idea' of being a knowledgeable herbalist, I lack the will. I guess crystals excite the true me more than herbs do--who knew? It's funny how our skills and talents don't always fall in line with what we think we like, or want to learn. So long story short, I traded the Herbal. It made me feel better to think someone would get some use out of such a lovely deck. The cards just never made good sense to me because I could not retain the meanings of the herbs, and they do very much dominate the cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla,
      I'm much the same: I thought getting this deck would help develop my herbal knowledge, but haven't spent the time it would take. Still, I'm not giving up yet ;)

      And yes, crystals are something I use almost daily, so they clearly chime with me more, at least for the moment...
      Cxx

      Delete