Monday, 24 September 2012

Departure

©Dugan & Evans
Today's card from the Witches Tarot (Llewellyn, 2012) adds in some interesting elements to the traditional Eight of Cups symbolism.

A young woman, with sweet peas in her hair (signifying departure) and a blue, traveller's cloak walks along the shoreline.  Behind her she leaves two neat rows of cups, while out ahead of her is a distant horizon, a crescent moon and eight twinkling stars.  At her side, a dolphin springs from the surf, watching her walk.  Perhaps the dolphin brings some kind of message, a message of hope for the future? 

It's interesting to see the cups lined up so neatly.  I've heard it suggested that the RWS positioning of the cups suggests having lots of emotional achievements and yet feeling something is missing - a gap in our lives.  Here, though, the cups suggest that all loose ends have been tied up, perhaps freeing the woman to turn and search for something deeper, something more spiritual, as suggested by the moon, stars and distant cliffs.

To me, this card feels more hopeful than the traditional image, with a hint of the Star's energy to it.  She may be leaving many things behind, but there is a strong calling and a belief in the path she travels, betwixt and between the worlds.

Today, perhaps I can start to see new hope for the future.  The weekend has been quite healing for me.  On Saturday, my Dear One and I performed a small ritual for the baby we lost.  And yesterday we spent some quality time as a family, celebrating being together, and talking about the future. 

I am grateful for hope in the future.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful card and a beautiful post.

    xx
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krysten :) I'm not totally sure about this deck, but this card in particular I do find incredibly beautiful and inspiring!

      Wishing you the ability to walk your higher path with grace.
      Cxx

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with your interpretation of this card as being a combination of the Star and Eight of Cups. It feels more peaceful and relaxed than the melancholy Eight of Cups.

    I'm glad you had a healin gweekend. I hope the healing continues and you figure out the best plans for the future.

    XO,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      Funny, I don't normally think of the Eight of Cups as being particularly melancholic. Perhaps because I can think of many positive reasons to walk away from something that no longer serves us...

      Thanks for your healing wishes.

      Lots of love,
      Chloë

      Delete
  3. Beautiful card and gentle feeling of peace in your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Carla, I am feeling a bit more at peace. Though the fact that I'm still suffering pregnancy nausea is somewhat of a pain!

      Hugs,
      Chloë

      Delete