Saturday, 22 September 2012

Mabon Blog Hop

©Caratti & Platano
Welcome to another Tarot Blog Hop.  You may have popped in from Arjen Glas' blog.  If not, you might want to hop back that way, or move forward with the link at the bottom of this post :)  And if you get lost along the way, check out the Master List here.

As autumn draws in, it is a time to harvest, and to store up that harvest for the winter.  For this round of the Tarot Blog Hop, wrangled by the very able and interesting Aisling the Bard, our topic is: The Power of Transformation.  Aisling's idea was based on the process of fermenting mead, though making wine would be much the same at the level of metaphor, and influenced my card choice for this intro.  Basically, when we harvest, we also need to transform that harvest in a way that makes it preservable, useful for the future.  Sometimes, though, that process isn't clean and easy - it requires transformation; cutting away the old, and changing what is.

Now, to me, tarot is always potentially a tool of transformation.  Whether it be through a reading we do for ourselves, or have from someone else, or using the tarot for meditation, or being moved by reading someone else's take on a card, I feel like tarot transforms me on an almost daily basis.

What then to say about transformation for this hop?  I decided to design a little spread, looking at what in my life currently needs to change, and how I can move things along.  As ever on these blog hops, I drew cards from the Wheel of the Year Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2011)

©Caratti & Platano

What in my life needs transforming? - Five of Swords


The first words that came to my mind when I saw this card were: "self-defeating thoughts".  I need to stop letting other people's words, and perhaps more especially my own ideas, make me feel bad about myself.

Overall, I'd say I have a pretty "can-do" attitude.  However, I haven't been getting much done of late.  And part of that is probably because it has felt all too much.

One of the big projects I have in mind is to complete my Masters dissertation.  I know I'm capable of doing it at an intellectual level, but I've been faffing and changing my topic for the last year, and not getting anything done.  So, time to stop thinking about all the obstacles and difficulties, and get on with it!

©Caratti & Platano

How can I help the process? - The Emperor


I have to say, the Emperor is not my favourite card in the deck!  Still, it's been coming up for me quite a bit, lately, so there must be something here for me to learn...

The suggestion I see is that to help the process of changing self-defeating thoughts, what I need is a plan.  Not just "oh, I've got to change that and do the other" but actually: first I have to do this, then that.  I'll need this and that for it, and I'll try to get it done by this date :)

As for the Masters, first I need to get my dissertation protocol written, which requires a literature review, as well as a structured plan for how I'd actually carry out the research.  That'll take a fair bit of work, so maybe first a reading list, then a break down of which parts of the protocol I'll have done when...

I'd love to hear if you give this quick draw a go - what in your life needs changing, and how can you help the process?

Now, if you haven't been there already, how about hopping on over to Koneta's insightful blog?

12 comments:

  1. A lovely thought-provoking post, as ever! I've just done a quick draw for myself - the Two of Cups and the Star. Hmmmm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alison. At least the Star as how to help the process is full of hope :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great post, Chloë!

    I am impressed by your dedication to doing what is best in your life. I love your approach. I am going to use this spread to post on my blog today.

    Much Love,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      Loved your draw, too :) And glad you liked the spread.

      Much love,
      Chloë

      Delete
  3. So what was the decision the other day? Did you blog about that?
    And I cannot believe you're going to do a dissertation! I wouldn't have a CLUE where to start with one, having never had to undertake one ;)

    The Emperor is also about taking charge: as you say, not just talking about it, but getting off the proverbial butt and doing it :)

    Good luck sweetie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise,

      No, not directly, just the after effects...

      This is my second dissertation, I'm obviously a sucker for punishment ;)

      And I didn't reply to this before because I really have been getting on with it - yay me :D

      Good luck to you, too <3

      Delete
  4. I think the Autumn/Winter period is great for any kind of personal development involving transformation. The short days and dark nights encourage a more reflective state of mind. I really like your spread and had a go for myself earlier today. Using the Hanson-Roberts Tarot for 'What in my life needs transforming?' I drew the Ten of Swords. For 'How can I help the process?' I drew The World :) The only way is up eh! :D


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, Sharon, at this time of year there's less of a drive to be out and doing, so we can stay in and explore what we find there.

      Definitely a quite upbeat reading - you can help transform through reaching for a sense of wholeness, balance, and delight in life :)

      Delete
  5. Sharon got quite a reading from those two cards! I drew the Empress reversed and the Six of Cups (Universal Waite). Hmmm. Looks like I'm disconnected from feelings, senses, comfort, the Earth, and the way to get that connection back is in collecting up the joys of childhood, reuniting with my feelings when burdens weren't so great. Thanks for the short draw idea!

    And sounds like the Emperor is definitely trying to get your attention in the discipline department. I remember well the long haul of dedication and focus that my ex-hubby had to maintain for seven years to get his PhD. The Emperor's energy is essential. And from his subsequent success, I'd say it was definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I can't even imagine the dedication it would take to do a PhD - even a Masters is quite daunting! Still, as you say, hopefully worthwhile :)

      Good luck with reconnecting with your senses and enjoyment of the world!

      Delete
  6. What a beautifully simple spread. Another one to add to my arsenal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elinor,

      I'm glad to see I'm not the only one still making my way around the Hop. So much to read, and so many interesting takes...

      Delete