Thursday, 20 September 2012

Paris

©Charlene Livingstone
On this Thursday with the Art of Life Tarot (U.S. Games, 2012) we have a card which is surprising in many ways - the Nine of Pentacles.

First off, we have a man instead of the more traditional female figure.  I associate the Nine of Pentacles with an independent woman who has worked hard to get where she is.  A man doesn't face the same obstacles, the same glass ceiling, as a woman, which makes the energy of this card quite different to my mind.  This verdant city scape also lends a different air to a garden scene - it feels less independent to me, more influenced by other people, their contributions or detracting influences.

Another reason this image surprises me is because the picture chosen was also used in James Ricklef's Tarot of the Masters.  There, it is used to illustrate the Three of Wands, which I like far better.  Looking out to assay what you have achieved, and what may still be to do, makes more sense to me with this image...

The quote, though, other than it's gender bias, does speak to me a little of the Nine of Pentacles' energy: "None of us will ever accomplish anything excellent or commanding except when he listens to this whisper which is heard by him alone." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.  The idea of achieving something by ourselves does fit my notion of the Nine of Pentacles.  Though I don't think of something "commanding" when I think Nine of Pentacles - in fact the quote might also better suit the Three or the Eight of Pentacles...

For me, today, I take the more traditional symbolism of the Nine of Pentacles to heart.  I need to draw on that inner strength, often hidden or hooded (the bird on the wrist of Pixie's image), that I know I possess.  Yesterday, the scan told a tale I dreaded hearing - the fetus inside me didn't make it.  I am lucky to have much love and support around me, but I also need to draw on my inner resources to make it through the heartache...

I am grateful for both inner strength and outer support.

13 comments:

  1. (hug)...

    Oh, I feel crushed for you. I offer up as much comfort and love as I can. Feel free to bug me any time, of course.

    Much Love,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, MM, for the (hug) and the offer to bug you :) Almost PM'd you on Facebook last night, but I didn't know what to say :( Think it'll take me a while to figure out what I'm feeling and where to go next...

    Lots of love,
    Chloë

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course...I understand. :0 Offer stands any time if you do feel like it. Lots of calm and healing to you.

      Love,
      MM

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so sorry, Chloe. Deepest sympathies. You have my email, address and phone number and I'm right on the end of all of them. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carla! I will certainly be in touch soon - got medical appointments today and tomorrow, though :(

      Delete
  4. Oh Chloe. My sincerest and deepest sympathy to you and your Dear One. I don't know what else to say, aside that I am thinking of you all. Big Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, PLN, it means a lot to have the support of this online family :)
      Big hugs to you, too!
      Chloë

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss. :-( Be extra kind and gentle with yourself. {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Siddaleah, I am trying to take good care of myself. (((hugs))) back atcha :)

      Delete
  6. oh dear :[

    major sympathy and hugs. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonkers. I will take good care, and my Dear One is doing the same. I feel very blessed with the love and care around me, which reminds me why I decided to admit to the pregnancy before it was "safe". When I had a miscarriage before, no-one knew, and I was all alone with the pain - not a good place to be. So, thanks again for the sympathy and hugs :)

      Delete
  7. I recently began to follow your blog and I do so enjoy it. I was just horrified to read about your loss, please accept my deepest condolences. I don't know you personally but reading your heartfelt messages every day makes me feel as though we are friends. Sending best wishes and lots of love from sunny southern California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Starbreeze,

      Nice to *meet* you :) Thank you for your condolences. I sometimes worry about putting myself out there like this. My experience, though, has been 100% positive - people being supportive and friendly :) So, thank you for the sunny wishes!

      Chloë

      Delete