Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Retreat

©Charlene Livingstone
On this Wednesday morning, the Art of Life Tarot (U.S. Games, 2012) offers us a moment of reflection.

This is another card where I find both the picture and the quote speak to me.  The picture is far from the traditional, showing a young man lounging on a rocky outcropping, gun and dog at his side.  Yet, it does have that sense of distancing yourself from society, and of looking inward and to the world around yourself for answers.

As for the quote, it's lovely: "Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul." - Marcus Aurelius.  Of course, as the Nine of Swords demonstrates, our souls are not always untroubled retreats, and yet, when they are, what a beautiful place to be...

However, today isn't a day for me to retreat - I have two medical appointments, so I'll have to go out into the world.  Still, perhaps I can take that feeling of calm with me, an inner peace.  Sounds nice :)

I am grateful for moments of peace.

4 comments:

  1. That's a lovely one today, isn't it?

    I also like that it shows a young person too. A slight twist. I guess that we can still find a safe place and distance our self when out in the world. I am just about to go for my run. Even though there are streams of traffic where I run and people walking their kids to school, while plugged into my headphones and under dark sunglasses, it feels as though I am retreating within as I run. It's also a time for a kind of meditative reflection too.

    Hope your appointments go well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PLN,

    I like that it's a young person, too - a reminder that wisdom can come in many guises.

    That does sound rather meditative - hope you had a good run :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this deck this week. It isn't on my wish list but it really appears to be a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharyn,

      Yes, I think a lot of thought went into this deck, though I wouldn't use it for readings. Still, beautifully done.

      Delete