Monday, 17 September 2012

Soul Mother

©Charlene Livingstone
On this Monday morning, who should come a-calling but the Empress, from the Art of Life Tarot (U.S. Games, 2012).

The image is actually of Saint Catherine of Alexandria.  Still, it has a somewhat Madonna-esque feel to it, which fits nicely with more traditional ideas of the Empress as a mothering figure.  I get a sense of female sensuality, wisdom and creativity based on the colours of her robes - green for growth, red for passion, yellow for enlightenment.

The quote is interesting, too: "Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things." - Denis Diderot.  This certainly speaks to me of creativity, and what fires it.

Obviously, motherhood is currently my main passion.  I haven't entirely forgotten my Masters, though, for which I still have to write the dissertation.  I struggled with a topic for a long while, changing several times.  Now, though, I think I've found a way to make it include tarot, so my passion is engaged ;D

I am grateful for creativity, mine and that of others.

6 comments:

  1. ohhh, what a brilliant match for my soul card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can really see you, especially in the quote :)

      Delete
  2. Saint Catherine was my patron saint when I was confirmed. (I grew up Catholic.) I'd like to say it was because I admired her and wanted to emulate her, but it was actually because I liked her name and thought it sounded good with mine. lol. Oh well. That is a beautiful Empress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the reasons we are aware of sometimes cover greater subtleties... Glad you like this Empress :)

      Delete
  3. Aw, yeah!

    Work it mama! :)

    Hehe. Sorry. I don't know what came over me.

    I am glad to see this lovely, motherly card for you.

    I kept thinking you'd be getting it any minute!

    How are you feeling? I wish I could come over and have a cup of peppermint tea with you.

    Sending hugs,

    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      Funny, I hadn't been especially expecting it. Perhaps as I'm just not feeling that confident yet. Hopefully closer to the birth she'll come back a lot more...

      Currently sipping cold peppermint tea from a bottle :) I'd make up some fresh for you!

      Warm hugs,
      Chloë

      Delete