Friday, 14 September 2012

The Evil

©Katalin E. Csikos
For this final draw from Hazelmoon's Hawaiian Tarot (self-published, 2010), we meet The Evil - her version of the Devil.

In many decks, this card is renamed Materialism.  That is certainly part of what I see here.  However, this card emphasises additional aspects.  Materialism is not just negative because it shows our attachment to the world of maya, of illusion and stuff rather than the spiritual, as hinduism and buddhism teach.  And it's not just because it can lead to superficiality and prizing things over people.  It is also negative because, the way consumer culture is run right now, it leads to polluting the planet and needlessly killing the beautiful creatures that live here.  This image reminds us that we are driving many species to the brink of extinction, and beyond.  We are filling the air we ourselves breathe with toxic chemicals!

It can feel hard not to go with the flow: consumerism is so much a part of our culture that it becomes hard to imagine a different way.  Still, even small actions can make a difference.

I've just had a dramatic example of that in my own life.  There's a bit of a cold going round at the moment, as the temperatures suddenly dropped.  A few days ago, a friend said she'd felt one starting, and had put a little garlic up her nose.  I thought, "Eew!"  However, last night, I spent a couple of hours with a runny nose, feeling a cold coming on.  Facing the prospect of sleeping poorly as I couldn't breathe and ending up with a fuzzy mouth, and knowing that I couldn't take any regular cold medications because I'm pregnant, I decided to give it a go.  On the first go, I sneezed the lot out, which at least cleared my nose ;)  After the second, I slept the whole night with an unblocked nose!  I just used a tiny smear of garlic paste, and it worked brilliantly :)

Just think of all the money and resources used to research, manufacture, package and deliver pharmaceuticals which don't even work all that well.  And this is just one example.  For instance, with indigestion, instead of all the tablets and drinks available, you can just use half a small spoon of bicarbonate of soda in a little water.

Perhaps even more powerfully, there was a programme on English TV about a month back singing the praises of fasting for improving overall health and mental function.  There is a lot of evidence that even not eating for one day a week reduces the risk of heart attack, diabetes and cancer considerably!  My Dear One has started fasting as a regular routine, but wasn't sure if he should this week, as he felt a cold coming on.  He decided to go ahead anyway, and after 36 hours of fasting: no cold.  It never happened!

Now, I'm not going to start fasting, as it's particularly contraindicated for female fertility and pregnancy, and it is harder on women, with more side effects such as insomnia and stress.  Still, it really has made me think!

I am grateful for garlic.

16 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love this--and it goes well with my integrative/natural health love and obsession. I totally agree--so many of the simple natural remedies (and other that are supplements--some of them quite cheap) are so much healthier than taking loads of pharmaceuticals--and we all know how much money lines the pockets of Big Pharma!

    Hope you have a swell day and good sleep,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      I had an amazing nap :) Hope you're sleep was a bit easier, too?

      Hugs and sleepy wishes,
      Chloë

      Delete
  2. And don't forget Food Combining--also a good way to help the system with no pharmaceuticals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I'm just laughing at the thought of you sticking garlic up your nose and sneezing like mad. :D Ohh dear me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm sure it looked hilarious! Fortunately, no-one was there to see me ;)

      Delete
  4. I was imagining sticking a whole clove of garlic up my nose and thinking how stuffed up my nose would feel then. lol. Paste. Brilliant! Takes me a while sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the friend who recommended it used little slivers of garlic, but she said her sister sticks whole cloves in *eek*

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the garlic reminder. I'm sitting here sniffling away and my youngest daughter just came down with the full shebang so I've kept her home from school today. Off to chop up some garlic now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the joys of kids returning to school - when they catch everything suddenly! Happy chopping ;)

      Delete
  6. Ah, thanks to woley/JJ, I can finally post on here. I don't know if you read my post on my own blog this morning, but I have been having trouble posting on your blog for days!

    I haven't liked too many of the images from this deck, but this one struck me with it's simplicity today. Such a hard-hitting card. Another step down the line and it could describe how we pollute and hurt our bodies by filling them with rubbish. Interesting card!

    PLN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PLN,

      So glad you're finally able to comment again! I will admit, the cards are not all that traditional. Still, I have a soft spot for Hawaii, and I do like this kind of semi-illustrated pip - so open to playing with new ideas.

      And of course, you're right, we often mistreat our own bodies the same way we mistreat the world. Definitely hard-hitting.

      Will be interested to hear if you like next week's deck better - the Art of Life Tarot...

      Cxx

      Delete
  7. Ah yes, I just commented on that one. I like the look of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps strangely, I don't think I'm going to be very favourable about the Art of Life. It just doesn't seem to chime with me, though I agree there are some lovely images, and some great quotes...

      Delete
  8. A little Chloe in the making, what a nice surprise. I have to get out more....
    Sharyn/AJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharyn,

      Yes, I'm hoping for a girl this time :) Thanks for dropping by, I know you've had a lot going on!
      Cx

      Delete