Thursday, 25 October 2012

Kindergarten Lenormand

A friend of mine, when confronted by a deck with less-than-pristine artwork, has been known to comment, "That looks like it was drawn by a teenager!" (yes, you know who you are!)  However, when I set out to draw my own Lenormand deck, I knew that I couldn't hope to aim that high.  So, I decided to call my deck the Kindergarten Lenormand, to acknowledge the style and quality of the artwork ;D  I was tempted to post with a few cards yesterday, but I realised I'd be able to complete it, and held off til I could do a "proper" reading, drawing from the entire deck.
©Chloe McCracken

I asked, "what should I know about you?"  My answer?  Fox, Child, Park, Grave, Heart, Tower, Fish, Tree, Woman.

©Chloë McCracken
At the heart of the reading is... the Heart.  This deck has been a labour of love on many levels.  It is a small part of a much bigger project, which consumes me: the Celtic Lenormand.  I created this Kindergarten deck so that I could start teaching Lenormand workshops, to get myself out there and start promoting the Celtic Lenormand through word-of-mouth: grassroots publicity.  And so, for the love of one deck, I created another.

The Fox points out that all of this has been hard work, yet which has accessed a child-like joy in me (Child), as well as representing a new project, a new beginning.  And of course, the artistic "style" of this deck!  The work is not over yet, though, as I still have to bring it, in its many forms and parts, into the public eye (Park/Garden) through blogging, Facebook, workshops and so on.

©Chloë McCracken
This deck, though it may look rather immature, doesn't hold back on deep emotions.  It says that the history of this lies in a painful ending (Grave), which led to my needing this new passion, this new love (Heart).  As one thing dies, it makes space in our hearts for something else.  Meanwhile, the Tower points out that I still have a lot to do to create a stable place for this project, and a lot of studying and research to complete.

Fish next to Tree suggests that I will have to consider the long-term financial plans for this project - where will the money come from to publish it?  Woman at the end of the line suggests what looks ever more likely, that I will go with self-publishing...

©Chloë McCracken
Reading the central column, I see that this new love (Child+Heart) has the potential to bring me healing and growth (Tree+Heart).

As many people say, with a Lenormand it doesn't much matter what the pictures on the deck look like, it is what they mean that counts.  Whether or not that's true (and I disagree to an extent, else I wouldn't be working to produce the Celtic Lenormand, which will be a deck with striking artwork), it's certainly the case that my little Kindergarten deck reads perfectly well!  And hopefully it'll garner a few laughs when I show it at my workshops :D

14 comments:

  1. I love it! I love your enthusiasm! I'm excited to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Manda! Sometimes I think I'm crazy, but it's a good kind of crazy :)

      Delete
  2. Very cute. I love the kindergarten concept! I think it's awesome how fearlessly you're moving forward. I am impressed and inspired. Now I have to find the courage to move forward in my own life.

    XOXO,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      As PLN says, I know you have the courage! Maybe you just need to find the inspiration...

      XOXO,
      Chloë

      Delete
  3. You have the courage, Ms Mentha. It's in those books with the cards, where you mislaid them ... go check! ;)

    But anyway ...

    I love this project Chloe. One thing I didn't understand was are you self-publishing the Celtic?

    What I really like about the Kindergarten is how we can just make a deck and use it. Obviously, this is what I am doing as a personal project at the moment; and it is really helping me to understand the cards by making them. Do you find that? How you address them, the colours used, everything. When I read, simplicity often helps, so I see this one as being very readable.

    You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PLN,

      I haven't yet decided about self-publishing, I'm still looking into options. It's looking quite likely, though. Lots of publishers want all the copyrights, and Will doesn't want to give that up (understandably). Also, I want to make sure the cards are done right - preferably with no borders, nice quality cardstock, etc.

      I think you probably learn more about tarot by creating a deck the way you are doing, after all, the Lenormand is a lot simpler. And drawing it the way I did, there are some aspects, like how many birds or mice to put on the card. Still, most people say with the Lenormand that they don't look at the details as part of the reading, because it's more of a semantic system. I think I may bring the details into my readings of the Celtic Lenormand, because it will have beautiful and meaningful details. But that's not really true of the Kindergarten, which is sooo basic! ;)

      Anyhow, it has definitely been a fun and learning experience! Can't wait to see more of your cards, they are lovely :)

      Delete
  4. cute, and quite readable it looks like! :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think I'll win any prizes with it, but it'll get the job done, be that teaching people or doing readings :D

      Delete
  5. Why is Card 8 'Grave' instead of 'Coffin'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, have you tried drawing a Coffin? ;D The Under the Roses Lenormand did that swap, and I thought, "What a good idea." It's one of the cards which is going to be different in the Celtic Lenormand, too, as they either intumated or cremated their dead...

      Delete
    2. You know what, I thought about asking you if you can draw a box! ha ha

      Delete
    3. Now, now, a coffin isn't that simple! It's an unusual shape, lots of angles, which with perspective thrown in can be odd. And it really needs to be seen side-on in three-D to give a real coffin feel. Still, challenge accepted, I shall try to draw an alternate coffin card... :)

      Delete
  6. Go on if you feel like it, no need, though! I was just looking at your fox card, and the lady's hat, you already draw way better than I can! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't draw very well at all, but I just dive in anyway :D Foolhardy, maybe, but it is also a lot of fun, and a great learning experience. What would you call your Lenormand? :)

      Delete