Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Lenormand Corner 1

I've had a Lenormand deck in my collection for quite a while: since 2007.  Though I didn't actually realise it was a Lenormand until recently *doh*  That's because I bought it as Titania's Fortune Cards.  I was sold on it by the idea of reading cards as a sentence.  However, though I read with them quite a lot, I never really loved those particular cards due to the weird, psychedelic artwork.

Then, last summer, I bought a Mystical Lenormand.  Although I love the images, I never got around to using it much.  I think I was put off because so many people were starting to write about the Lenormand, saying you had to read it using traditional interpretations and spreads.  A lot of those, though, just didn't chime with me, nor with the images I could actually see.  Not that I disagree with having a set meaning for the cards and working from that symbolically.  But when people start saying a particular card is a dark-haired woman or an older man, well, I don't like that kind of superficial narrowness - it doesn't fit with the multi-cultural city (and world) in which I live.

Recently, Tarot Bonkers blogged with Pixie's Astounding Lenormand.  I loved the idea of cards done in Pixie Coleman's style, or taken from her tarot images, and made into a deck.  The familiarity of Pixie's artwork, coupled with the novelty of a Lenormand deck :)  I've also been loving how Bonkers doesn't let herself get shoe-horned into rigid systems, but has been playing around with ways of using the deck.

I finally decided to let myself make some space for Lenormand's, but on my own terms.  After all, few people these days read tarot cards using the fixed meanings given by writers of old.  For instance, in the Golden Dawn system, the Fool in an "everyday" reading indicated stupidity or eccentricity!  So, although I have memorised meanings for the Fool, and let my intuition choose between them, I don't get "stuck" on having to read it the way it would originally have been read.

So, a three card draw, pulled at random with no topic or question:

Scythe, Birch, Anchor
One thing has ended, but I still need to whip myself into action.  I've a long journey ahead, so I'd better make sure I'm grounded at the outset.  For me, this is clearly about my dissertation.  I've finished the first big step, the protocol, but that's just a drop in the ocean of the work that still awaits.  Still, it will hopefully be a fine adventure :)

17 comments:

  1. I like this idea of not being shoe-horned into rigid systems. I hate how 'some' try to make other feel as though they're doing it wrong by using their initiative. Read 'em how you like ...

    Play, play, play.

    I quite liked Titanias deck. If you don't like the cards, read the book. I got a lot from that and really liked her combination ideas. Easy to learn and made sense.

    As with any cards, do it how it feels best for you, not someone else :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PLN,

      I don't know, fixed combinations just don't do it for me. For example, something I read said that combining scythe and birch should be read as accidents :b I can imagine reading it very differently depending on the day and the context. Scythe might make me think of harvesting, and birch about punishment - which would give me "you reap what you sow" :)

      As you say, I'll go with what works for me ;)

      Delete
    2. "As you say, I'll go with what works for me ;)"

      Always the best way. Hope it brings much reward. And I'll enjoy watching as it unfolds here ...

      PLN

      Delete
  2. I got this deck and promptly stored it without even really looking at it. Maybe I should get it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite lovely! Though I think I'll probably prefer the Mystical Lenormand in the long run... Or else horses for courses... :)

      Delete
  3. Oh man. This makes me wish I had a Lenormand deck. I gave away the only one I had-I didn't feel any connection to it. Now I have to get one. Hrmm...I have to find one that's affordable yet interesting.

    I liked your reading and interpretation, and I think it's awesome you're making progress on your dissertation.

    Mega Mentha Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      My favourite so far is the Mystical Lenormand. But this Pixie's Astounding Lenormand is also a lot of fun!

      Large Lenormand Hugs,
      Chloë

      Delete
  4. That's the spirit! I can't stand fussing with arbitrary systems for Lenormand. I do single draws, 3-card draws, I mix them with other decks and draw a card from each (actually that's a lot of fun.)

    Lately there is this huge online movement for learning the "proper" way of reading Lenormand decks which has already set up two differing camps, plus an attendant rigour with regard to Lenormand history and what is and isn't correct and true for the True Believers.

    I enjoy my cards as they come and then experiment. It's refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given my dissertation topic is about how people use cards to create a healing dialogue for themself, I feel I have some academic justification in just doing what feels right to me ;D Sounds like you play around in a very healthy, freeing way!

      Delete
  5. I've been looking through my old Lenormand notes (from back in April!). As to systems, I'm not one to tell anyone how to read their cards, but for me personally, I like using a set Lenormand system. For ME, I stress me, Lenormand is not to be read intuitively or approached with any sort of tarot-like sensibility. I like treating it as such; it makes it feel special and different. I use the Belgian system, which I know you, Chloe, have trouble with because of associating 'Snake' with women (Garden of Eden type stuff). But for me, a certain 'rigidity' in the card system is comfortable.

    I think this is why Pixie's Lenormand is awkward to me. The style looks too much like tarot. I think my favourite Lenormand is the Postmark... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see what you mean about following a system being comfortable and making the Lenormand distinct from a tarot. Still, I just don't like rigid systems! I find them limiting, and they can be quite outmoded.

      The Postmark looks cute, shame it's no longer available...

      Delete
    2. As much as I love the Mystical, it never really worked for me. I liked a really basis one. And also the Art Nouveau too, for aesthetic purposes -

      http://osiem.com.pl/nouveau-lenormand-oracle-cards-instr-polsku-p-2429.html

      http://oracle-of-tarot.com/ancient-lenormand-oracle.htm

      Delete
    3. Well, those are certainly two very different versions! The Art Nouveau is very girly, perhaps unnecessarily so? I rather like the back to basics Ancient Lenormand, though :)

      Delete
  6. Is your method accurate when you read for others?

    ReplyDelete