Sunday, 14 October 2012

Of Talking Fish and Sleeping Cats

©Kat Black
Today's card from the Touchstone Tarot (Kunati, 2009) is the Page of Cups.

During the UK Tarot Conference, Rachel Pollack mentioned this card as part of her talk about one of her recent books "Tarot for Magical Times".  She said (I'm paraphrasing), "What if we take this image literally.  After all, just about every culture in history but one has believed in talking animals.  That one is ours.  What if he has that fish there because it is talking to him?" 

 What would that fish be saying?  "Hey dude, get me away from that cat, she's just faking sleeping!"?  Or maybe, "Wouldn't you rather be out swimming naked in the ocean, feeling the water against your skin, seeing the horizon disappearing out ahead of you?"  Yeah, I can get with that.  Well, maybe not the English channel in October, but you know what I mean. 

So, rather than the traditional ideas of soul-searching or messages of love, I see this card today as being about the emotions we can open ourselves up to if we allow ourselves to experiment, to feel, to be.

No idea how much of that I'll be able to do today.  Though I guess it's rather like the Zen proverb: "Before enlightenment, I chopped wood and carried water.  After enlightenment, I chopped wood and carried water."  So, I shall try to be aware of my emotions and my feelings as I go through the day, no matter what I am doing.

I am grateful for the reminder to be mindful.

4 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be great if PCS were around and we could just say, look. We are going to sit down with you and ask you about a few things. First off, what's up with that fish? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love that idea! That would make a great story, or even novella...

      Delete
  2. I like your thought for the card being about the emotions we can open up in ourselves to experiment and to feel. This is not easy. I am grateful for the awareness to try. :)

    ReplyDelete