Sunday, 28 October 2012

Pumpkin Farmer

©Kipling West
The Halloween Tarot (U.S. Games, 1997) is pretty much a RWS clone, particularly in the Minors.  Yet I still find it delightful, and there is often a different feeling to the cards despite the similarities.

Today's card is such a case, I think.  The look on the pumpkin-headed farmer's face is so peaceful and hopeful!  He doesn't look stressed by the work he's put into his pumpkins, he doesn't look worried about how his harvest will turn out.  He appears to just be in the moment, enjoying being outside and looking at those beautiful pumpkins :)

Yes, we may have to wait and see, we may have to reassess whether the seeds we've sown need more watering, or whether we need to weed some out.  Still, this card reminds us to stay present with what we are doing, in the moment.

In this card, I definitely see my need to reassess my dissertation protocol.  What I also see, though, is that I need to stay present with what is happening right now, too.  For example, today is family day.  So, I shall try to turn off thoughts of methodology and research co-participants, and focus on enjoying spending time with my Dear One and Big Boy!

I am grateful for the reminder to be where I am.

14 comments:

  1. I look at this deck every year at this time, and I always think 'Oh it is so lovely' and then Halloween passes all over again and I forget about it. But I do like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my, how can you not have it in your collection, Princey! Yes, it's very much a humourous theme deck, but it's so good ;D

      Delete
    2. Go order it right now. Then you can be surprised when you find it next year.

      Delete
    3. Haha. Maybe I shall put it on the old Christmas list!

      Delete
  2. Hope you have a great family day today! I have cleaned out the wardrobe of old clothes and posted some pics on my 'other blog'. Now I just have to muster the will work out. I'm thinking maybe The Firm Express. I hate them but they're only 20 minutes. (And they are tough). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBrV17XPIqk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I used to have some Firm vids. Hope you told them where to get off ;D

      Delete
  3. I don't have this tarot either, and every year I think maybe it would be neat to use, but I am not a Halloween person. We don't decorate or give out candy or anything.

    XTC had a song called The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead....remember that???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this is one for our list!

      Delete
    2. We don't decorate or give out candy, either. Still, I really like this deck :) Don't remember the song, I'm afraid - different cultural milieu, maybe...

      Delete
  4. You're awesome and I know you'll find a way to circumvent this issue!

    Lots of pumpkiny hugs. We don't generally give out much in the way of candy because I don't like having it around Pele. Plus she can't have dairy, gluten, soy, peanuts and I try to avoid refined sugar for her, too. So usually I get something more basic...like little bags of kettle or popcorn. But sometimes I don't give out treats.

    It's a great, old-fashioned and fun deck.

    XOXO,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      Sounds very sensible. I'm sure plenty of kids aren't too thrilled, but I bet their parents are ;)

      Spooky jack o'lantern hugs,
      Chloë

      Delete
  5. Well, we don't give out candy, we live in a flat and people can't get to us. But we do eat plenty of it ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not good for kids anyway *cackles evilly* ;D

      Delete