Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Ra's Chariot

©Jessica Shanahan
Today's card from the Tarot of the Absurd definitely offers us a quite different perspective.

Here we see a bull and a lion harnessed to a chariot.  The angles are all strange, though.  The lion looks like his tail has been caught under the chariot and he's not happy about it.  The bull is arching back, as though about to tumble and crush the lion or the charioteer, or both.  And the chariot stands on it's tailgate, facing straight up.  Perhaps that matters less, as the charioteer has strong-looking angel wings that echo the eagle on the chariot's axle.  He also has a flaming torch above him.

You couldn't get much more disparate mounts for the chariot, and it seems the charioteer has his work cut out for him if he wants to make his way in the world.  And yet, his angel wings suggest an almost godly determination, and the support of spirit for his endeavours.  It feels a little like Ra's chariot, driven through the sky each day carrying the sun.  Such power will overcome any obstacle!

As for me, I have another strange project in mind today, as part of my ground roots marketing of the Celtic Lenormand.  I'm going to be drawing my own Lenormand deck, as Will's art won't be ready in time for me to put it in the slides for my first Introduction to Reading the Lenormand workshop at Atlantis Books in London on 19th January next year.  I don't want to breach anyone's copyright, and I want to be able to give people good handouts.  So, they will get recognisable, if very poorly drawn, Lenormand images as visual cues for the class.  I'll post a few, just so you can all have a laugh at how bad my drawing skills are!

I am grateful for the drive to get even absurd projects done.

12 comments:

  1. Ah, I will be interested in seeing these Chloe; would these not be interesting elements in your book? It is always interesting to see where an idea developed from (I am thinking of the LoS Fey tarot book as an example). It doesn't matter how well or badly drawn they are; it's the process and the perspective you draw from that is important. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PLN,

      Hmm, when I get one of Will's pieces where I sent him a scribble I may well post both on the Celtic Lenormand blog :D

      This deck, tho, is just meant as a teaching tool, to get me out there and talking about the Lenormand so eventually I can include Will's images and boost word of mouth. They will just be my poor drawing of basic Lennie concepts... Still, should be amusing in a Schadenfreude kinda way ;)

      Delete
  2. Dover Press has TONS of really cool royalty free illustrations. I don't think anyone has made a Dover Press Collage Lenormand yet, in case you want an easier route. They specialize in design elements and long-out-of print material. It is all B&W. Or maybe that would be harder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, Jessica :) They don't seem to have the images in a searchable form, though, you just get what they feel like once a week (unless I'm missing something). So, I'll stick with my bad art for the moment... ;)

      Delete
  3. You do have a lot of drive! And to think I was pleased with myself for nicking 7 representations of chakras to print and make into my own personal little chakra deck. :) I can't wait to see your drawings. I bet they're not rubbish at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't nick anything if I'm going to be making it in money-making enterprises... As for my artwork, I'm thinking of calling it the Kindergarten Lenormand :D Will post with them tomorrow!

      Delete
  4. Well, then, you could do them in crayon... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went with Sharpies, didn't want to get as messy as a kid even if I am doing kiddie-style art ;)

      Delete
  5. Oooh, interesting card! The Chariot is apparently my birth card, and whilst I am very 'driven', I struggle to relate to it's elements of focus and control. This Absurd card feels far more like it - scratching my head wondering how on earth I can reconcile the different elements in me, which often conflict with each other, in order to move towards a goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LR,

      I sometimes think our Birth Cards are part of our lesson for this lifetime. So, focus and control are perhaps parts of it that you still have to look forward to... ;) I'm a double Gemini, so I definitely relate to the conflicting parts thing!
      Cx

      Delete
  6. 'So, focus and control are perhaps parts of it that you still have to look forward to... ;)'
    I like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The joys of getting older, erm, more mature ;D

      Delete