Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Restraint

©Kat Black
Today we meet another Major from the Touchstone Tarot (Kunati, 2009).  This time, it is Temperance who faces us, somewhat dourly.

This woman makes me think of women who go veiled.  She wears a scarf that covers her chin, neck and upper chest.  A bizarre hat a bit like a pointy marshmallow covers her head, so no hair can be seen.  Her dark dress covers all else, down to her wrists.  She appears to sit at a table, or perhaps stand at a window sill, pouring some fluid from a jug into a cup.  Her gaze seems to drift over to a bird standing on the table or sill, perhaps wondering at its freedom to fly.

This Temperance feels so restrained to me.  Caught in a room, trapped by her clothes, limited to the small movements she can make and what she can see from her window.  I guess moderation can be enforced from outside, or can come from an inner force.  And perhaps she chose those clothes, that room, for just that reason: to create some boundaries.

Today, my main limitation is time.  There are so many things I would like to do, but only a limited number of hours in the day to do them.  Still, it's all about the balance, about prioritising and bringing a harmonious mix of elements into our lives.  While I won't be able to spend the whole day on my current favourite project, I will make time to exercise, to play with my son, to talk with my mother when she comes to visit, to cuddle my Dear One, to email friends.  Sounds like a pretty well-rounded day to me!

I am grateful for a varied and vibrant life.

6 comments:

  1. sometimes, i've found, wearing a headscarf can also be kind of comforting, like a security blanket over your head. I have a friend who is not any kind of religious, but particularly likes doing so. for some, this temperance may not be constrained at all, rather just doing her own thing. all about degree/context.

    though i agree, marshmallow hat thing is weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonkers,

      The only time's I've worn a headscarf, as opposed to a hat in winter, was in muslim countries. Sometimes it felt good, keeping the heat at bay. Fundamentally, though, I'd rather feel the breeze, or the rain, or the sun, on my head - that connection to nature.

      I can understand why other people make different choices, and that those choices can be liberating or supportive. Still, to me covering up always feels like a limitation.
      Cx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful day! Good for you for enjoying it. Lately, I've been beating myself up for not accomplishing more with my days. I think I need to incorporate a little temperance myself to hush that perfectionist inside of me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those perfectionists can spoil our enjoyment of life. Balance is all, and sometimes that's a balance of lots of fun things ;)

      Delete
  3. It's funny, I never even thought of her hat or wimple. It's just the way people dressed. I'm not sure what the various symbols in this card are supposed to mean, so I just go with what I know about the Temperance card when I use the Touchstone and this one turns up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, have to admit, I didn't check what the flowers behind her are or anything of the sort. I just go with what strikes me in the moment. Keeps the cards fresh ;)

      Delete