Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Trees

©Moore & Krysinski & Gabrielli
Today we meet a card from the Earth suit of the Book of Shadows Tarot, As Above (Lo Scarabeo, 2012): the Six of Earth.

The suit of Earth in this deck has us meeting and learning from the physical beings of this beautiful planet, and from nature herself.  In this case, it is trees that we are called on to learn from.  Trees link the otherworld, the upperworld and the underworld.  So, they act as portals to the different spirit realms.  Their life cycles remind us, too, of the turning of the Wheel of the Year.

Forests are strange: they can be a place of refuge, from weather for instance.  And yet they can also be fearsome places, where shadows make us jump and we sense the unknown.  Here, we see both sides of the forest: a well-lit glade that invites us in, and the dark, shadowy side, where gnomes crouch as though hiding.

I'm not sure I'll have a chance to go walk in nature today, much though I'd like to.  Still, even while sat at my computer, I'll be doing some research into nature, trees and animals for a project I'm working on.  So, perhaps that's my way to commune with nature, even if at second hand...

I am grateful for the wealth of information on trees, as well as from trees.

8 comments:

  1. You can always look out the window at them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true :) Not quite the same as being outside, hearing the rustle of the wind in their leaves, blowing the cobwebs out of my brain, though....

      Delete
    2. Open the window. :D

      I am sat at the information desk in a library all day every day. But there are big windows across the room, and I can see them. I have watched 8 cycles of the year pass through those windows. I have watched them blossom in spring, flourish gleaming in the sun in summer, get blown about in autumn, and then stand in stark relief against pink afternoon sunsets in winter. Those windows nurtured my love affair with trees.

      Delete
  2. Aww--this post makes me wish I was a little gnome, but I guess I could imagine I am one. Why not?

    I have to say it: there's something oddly sinister about those gnomes sitting in the dark, plotting something against the other two gnomes.

    Ok, maybe not, but that's how it looked for a minute...

    Hehee...

    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I see what you mean... The two in the glade seem to look over as though asking themselves, "What are those guys up to?" ;)

      If you were a gnome, what would you be doing right now?

      Hugs,
      Cxx

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of the gnomes in the Irish Fairy Cards (an I Ching deck believe it or not.)

    Do you have the Irish Fairy Cards? Grinning and hopping away with my little cap and beard....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Woley,

      I'd never heard of the Irish Fairy Cards, and they appear to be OOP :( Ah well, makes it easier to resist yet another lovely deck...

      Delete