Sunday, 7 October 2012

Yule

©Moore & Krysinski & Gabrielli
Today's card from the Book of Shadows Tarot, As Above (Lo Scarabeo, 2012) is one of the renamed Major cards - XIII Yule.

Normally, this is the Death card, and there is still something of that here.  Yule is the winter solstice, the time when the Winter God dies and the Summer God is reborn.  On the card, that is shown by the old, bearded and antlered green-and-red Holly King passing rulership back to the Oak King, a young hunter in green.  Of course, in pagan tradition this is the time when the Goddess actually gives birth to the Sun God - graphically illustrated in the Maat Tarot (you can see the card here).  There is a hint of that with the Book of Shadows card, too, with the rabbit in the background and the sun peeking out from behind the symbol of rulership as it changes hands.  A time of darkness and death, then, but with the promise of light and rebirth. 

I like the way that Barbara Moore has incorporated pagan holidays into the Majors, along with other pagan concepts like the God and Goddess, and steps along the pagan path like initiation and creating sacred space.  It's an interesting idea, and I think will still work for readings, too.  May have to test that out later this week...

As for me, today I have to let go of the projects I've been working on frantically all week, both for work and study, and instead focus on family.  Not that it's a bad thing, but it can be hard to turn my mind off when I've been so engrossed...

I am grateful for transitional times.

5 comments:

  1. Ewww to the Maat Tarot image. :) I love the bunnies all over this deck. Especially the fluffy ones peeping out in unexpected places. It's sort of like two-fingers up to people who call other people fluffy bunnies. 'Yeah, I got your fluffy bunny right here! Call me fluffy bunny all you want, I don't care. I love it, I wallow in it, I embrace it! So there!' It's like the reclaiming of the word 'witch'. That's how I see it, anyway. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if I ever do a deck, I'll fill it with little 'mongrels'. Ha ha

      Delete
    2. I dunno, I think I like the Maat image better than this one, more real... And yeah, I love the fluffy bunny joke throughout this deck, too! Mongrels would be good, like the Tramp ;D

      Delete
    3. Anything emerging from anyone's body is too 'real' to be depicted on my tarot cards. :) For me.

      Delete