Monday, 12 November 2012

Bound

©Cori & Bartha
On this Monday morning we face a rather challenging card in the Sirian Starseed Tarot's Eight of Orbs (North Atlantic Books, 2012).

A blonde woman stands by the side of a gently flowing stream, with eight dull green orbs floating around her on all sides.  She appears naked under a black cloak, though she also wears a blindfold.  Tree roots from the large tree beside her seem to grow up around her, binding her tightly. 

There is more of a sense of real entrapment here than in traditional images where the woman seems able to break her bonds and walk between the swords around her.  And yet, she is bound by roots, suggesting growth that has gone awry.  It reminds me of Carl Rogers' comparison of the human being with potatoes in a shed that always strive for growth and life, even in a way that may seem pathetic or twisted if we don't understand the circumstances behind it.  Those murky green orbs are her own negative thoughts, which may seem to her to be the only option or her best defence.  Yet actually they restrict her unbearably.

I've definitely been doing this to myself of late, tying myself up in knots because I'm trying to fit in with my preconceived ideas of what I should do.  Enough, today I shall try to break free of this binding!

I am grateful for free-thinking.

From Sirian Starseed Tarot by Patricia Cori and Alysa Bartha, published by North Atlantic Books, copyright © 2012 by Patricia Cori and Alysa Bartha. Reposted by permission of publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment