Wednesday, 28 November 2012

La Forza

©Alexander Daniloff
It's good to see a Major come out in one of these daily draws!  I always like when the week covers as many bases as possible in a deck: different suits, Courts, Majors, and maybe even Aces.  Seeing as I pull them at random, it doesn't always happen, but we're doing quite well so far with Alexander Daniloff's Tarot (2012).

Here we have La Forza (Strength), and you'll see that I've chosen the version numbered VIII.  There are two choices each for Strength and Justice, so you can go with your preferred numbering :) 

A blonde woman appears to be riding on a rather sad-looking lion.  She looks at us slyly from the corner of her eyes, while the lion gazes at her with concern.  The lion's appearance upsets me a little - is the woman tormenting him, controlling him, breaking his back and his will?  I normally see this card as representing soft control, or taming our animal instincts so that they work in harmony with our more civilised side.  Here, though, the control feels harsher, the balance more tenuous.

As for me, today I head off on another business trip.  I really didn't want to go on this one, but needs must.  Perhaps, then, this is me taming my desire to stay home, to focus on more interesting work than the paperwork and slow, dull meetings which face me tomorrow...

I am grateful I don't always have to suppress my joy.

6 comments:

  1. Reminds me of Cesar Ripa's Iconologia--there is a moral emblem with a woman riding a lion. Actually, I think he has a few people riding a lion.

    It could be about Power too, do you not feel power when you have such responsibility in business? It wasn't that long ago that women were not able to travel and do business. There is a certain strength to that aspect of it, as well as the confidence and strength of dealing with other people in business.

    These are lovely cards, so nice to see real art. I can't afford them but I am so glad you are using them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi woley,

      Thanks, that's a good reminder. I am grateful that I can have a career. Not sure it makes me feel especially powerful, though... but yes, I chime with confidence and strength :)

      And you're right, this is real art. I just feel a bit ambivalent about that lion. Still, it's not a bad thing to have our ideas and preconceptions challenged!

      Delete
  2. Wow--that IS a depressing lion. Do you feel like the lion instead of the lady? :)

    I sincerely hope the trip goes better than you think.

    Lotsa hugs and goodness,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      That's an interesting question! I think I did feel a bit like the lion - I only went on the trip because my hand was forced...

      Still, everything got done, and it's over now :)

      Hugs and goodness to you, too!
      Chloë

      Delete
  3. I'm think of getting this deck next, I've been checking out the pictures on your blog :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, knixie. Hope it's helped with your choice :)

      Delete