Monday, 19 November 2012

Lennie Week - Titania's Fortune Cards

Key + Dog + Scythe
Titania's Fortune Cards (Quadrille Publishing, 2000) by Titania Hardie were my first introduction to Lenormand cards, back in 2007.  They are a very modern take on this old system, with photographic images on single colour backgrounds.  Here, there are no playing card inserts, no verses, not even any numbers or titles.  Still, the basic premise is the same.

Key once again suggests unlocking something, or something which is sure.  Dog represents loyalty, friendship or someone you know.  And the Scythe is a sudden ending, or something cutting.

Dependable certainty ends, you can no longer trust what you once thought certain.
A secure friendship is cut: don't like the sound of that one!
Someone you know unlocks something which causes a rupture between you.
Someone close to you will definitely need surgery.

The first interpretation chimes for me today: my life feels like it's in a fair bit of flux at the moment.  For one thing, I am considering my options with the Celtic Lenormand, and have approached a number of publishers to see if they are interested in it.  Although I have made a pledge to see this deck created, I am no longer sure I want to go the route of self-publishing.  It feels like my focus needs to be on the creative process, rather than worrying about marketing and logistics.

If the deck is taken on by a publishing house, I may not be able to continue with the Celtic Lenormand blog, either, which feels both sad and liberating.  I see the blog as a way to build up a feeling of familiarity with the deck, so that when it comes out people will greet it as though meeting an old friend again.  However, I see in this draw that this idea may be one I need to let go...

I am grateful that endings and beginnings are intimately connected.




2 comments:

  1. The answer comes from a friend (for me personally, Dog almost always means Hubby, so could be your Dear One??)-- advice to make an abrupt stop in whatever it is that is causing a problem. Or the means to make that abrupt end. A quick, but perhaps somewhat painful, solution to a problem comes by way of a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that interpretation, Carla. I generally blend the first and second cards, and see the pointy end of the Scythe as the bit that cuts what's next to it. Still, what you say definitely chimes with me :)

      Delete