Monday, 19 November 2012

Lenormand Cross Spread

Harald Jösten, a German writer on the Lenormand deck and the person who wrote the short meanings for the Bärtschi Lenormand (Königsfurt-Urania, 2007), has a Cross Spread in his book "Die Symbolwelt der Lenormand-Karten" (Königsfurt-Urania, 2008) that I wanted to try out.  It's short and sweet: a card for what is currently hanging over you, a card for what you have control of, a card for the past that led to this situation, and a card for the future direction things are heading or could head.  He suggests using one of the people cards in the centre as a significator, but I prefer to see what falls in that position, as that provides additional information.

Kindergarten Lenormand ©Chloe McCracken
I asked about the situation with the Celtic Lenormand, as I'm juggling possibilities in my mind right now.  What I got makes a lot of sense.  The Tower at the centre shows I'm feeling quite isolated with this project at the moment.  Going it alone is quite stressful, so much responsibility, as well as work.  The Fish as what's hanging over me indicates that I'm concerned about quantities and money.  It's possible to make more money self-publishing, but marketing is harder, so you generally go for smaller print runs.  However, I feel Will's art cries out for a more mass-market approach, which I wouldn't be able to offer through self-publishing. 

What I have control of is the Letter: I have taken the initiative in writing to several publishing houses.  It also suggests that writing is what is important to me right now - focusing on the companion book, where I want to share a number of spreads, as well as the pagan aspect of reading with this deck.

The past as the Child makes sense, too.  I was perhaps a little naive jumping into this.  I hadn't worked out all the details of self-publishing, thinking I could figure it out along the way.  I also thought it would be fun to do the marketing, to share this child of my soul with others.  That didn't foresee that some people would react very negatively, which has been a painful realisation.

Finally, the Man cards tells me that whether I decide to continue on the self-publishing route or go with a publishing house, I will in any case need to get on with things.  Some people will still respond critically and aggressively, there will still be a lot of work to do.  So, I'd better "man up"!  It calls for me to draw on qualities such as rationality, organisation, and self-confidence, both to clarify my path and to do the work that's needed.  OK, best get on with it then :)

6 comments:

  1. Hello Dearie!!

    I'm sure you'll figure it out and all will be well, although I know it'll take a good deal of focus and hard work, and I applaud you!

    Lotsa hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya MM,

      Well, I did have one interesting idea around marketing today :) And I had a response from one of the companies, saying they'll let me know in one to three months time! Ah well, patience is a virtue, right?!

      Lotsa hugs to you, too,
      Chloë

      Delete
  2. Is it Facebook where you're getting all the crap? You know what my opinion is of Facebook! Don't worry what those naysayers say. 'To all you naysayers, I say nay!' as the kid in 'Role Models' shouts. (Have you seen that film? It's so funny).

    Hope you're feeling better and that you still think this project is worth doing. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, I haven't had much more crap of late, but then again I have been laying low (well, I was away for a few days, too). It's more that I'm now daunted by the thought of carrying on trying to market the deck, and worried I won't do it justice. It won't stop me going ahead, just that I'm rethinking the best way to handle it. We'll see...

      Haven't seen the film, will have to check it out :)

      Delete
    2. Well, the kid's name is Augie and he loves Live Action Role Play above all things. Here's the line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRlhvzfpIS8

      Now go get it on Netflicks or wherever you get your movies. (I'm still old fashioned and buy DVDs for 3 quid on Amazon).

      Delete
    3. Does look fun :) And yes, I'm an Amazon DVD gal, too!

      Delete