Thursday, 29 November 2012

Perception

©Alexander Daniloff
Today's card from Alexander Daniloff's Tarot (2012) is one whose perspective I can't quite get my head around.  The angles seem wrong to me, a little off.  And perhaps that says something about the interpretation of the card itself...

A woman kneels on the ground, her arms bound tightly at her sides, her breasts pushed up by her corset and binding. She also has a black ribbon that wraps around her throat, head, and eyes, almost like a horse's bridle!  The eight swords are all different shapes and sizes.  Poked into the ground around her and through her yellow dress, they seem to pin her down and bar her way far more than in traditional images.  Her location is also unclear, all we can see is a blue swirling circle, and a glimmering night sky, or perhaps a dark curtain with light specks.

Altogether, from the odd angles to the varied swords, the bridle-like blindfold and the strange location, this card makes me think of being trapped by ideas which are in fact twisted.  Not that they are necessarily untrue, but the way we are interpreting them is skewed, and that affects everything we think, say and do, or don't do.

I have to say, it's not a great card for today, when I have three different business things to get done.  It suggests delays and difficulties, which may be about how I approach things.  Forewarned is forearmed, I guess.

I am grateful for the reminder to be flexible in my thinking.

2 comments:

  1. What an odd 8 of Swords! It is all twisted and confused. I do hope whatever you do or did today was able to be figured out, unraveled in a good way!

    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      I agree, it is quite odd. At first, I wasn't sure I liked it, but actually I think it fits the interpretation well. As for me, I did get a bit bent out of shape with bureaucratic faffing, first in a bank and then dealing with civil servants. Overall, I managed to stay fairly calm, and not fight the restrictions, and got everything done in time :)

      Hope you have a good end of week!
      Hugs,
      Chloë

      Delete