Thursday, 1 November 2012

Sad Emotions

©Kipling West
On this chilly Thursday morning in November, the card to greet us from the Halloween Tarot (U.S. Games, 1997) is the Knight of Ghosts (Cups).

Once again, there are a lot of interesting little twists in this Knight.  For one thing, in his hand is a scroll, rather than a cup, and the ghost in front of him seems to emerge from the scroll.  For another, his horse looks rather more demonic than I'd normally expect.  Thirdly, his helmet has bat wings and a scary faceplate, though the Knight's face looks rather sad.  And of course, there's the black cat looking on curiously.  There is also a river running through the countryside, but I think that's true of the RWS Knight of Cups, too...

So, a Knight made sad by emotions from the past evoked by a message or journal, perhaps.  Although he is driven by his emotion (the fiery horse), he is quite practical about it (pumpkins on the bridle).

To me, this card says, "Speak or act on your emotions, or you might regret it."

Certainly, I have quite a bit to say to my psychotherapist today, after all the shadow work of the last while!  I don't think I posted it directly before, but I received a rejection from the second reviewer of my dissertation protocol on Tuesday, too :(  At least this one was more supportive - constructive criticism, rather than just calling tarot hokum.

I am grateful to have people to talk to.

11 comments:

  1. Oh...I'm so, so sorry about the second rejection. But I am glad it was more constructive rather than destructive. I have to say: I'm shocked at how conservative these folks are! I see what you are up against!

    My heart goes out to you. Will be fervently hoping for acceptance and things to flow through for you.

    XOXOOX,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think if it had been another vitriolic rejection I might just have given up (well, probably not). As it was, this guy didn't say I couldn't do it, just that I couldn't do it that way...

      I haven't worked out how else to go about it yet, and my focus is more on the Celtic Lenormand. I'm hoping that something will crystalise - it's often the way...

      Loads of hugs to you, dear MM!
      Chloë

      Delete
  2. Those closed-minded a**holes! I fervently hope you can figure out a way to tailor this dissertation to still write about the cards. They are such an important part of the personal healing process of so many people. Grrr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Wait, did I see Pele in this response of mine?? ;) )

      Delete
    2. They are, aren't they! My problem is that I could probably interview transpersonal psychotherapists about this, but I've sometimes found them a bit too woo-woo for my tastes... (which coming from me suggests the college might not even recognise them as therapists...)

      And yes, there's a bit of Pele there, but that's not a bad thing. Only when she explodes out inappropriately, or gets in the way of clear communication with your honey...
      Cx

      Delete
  3. I don't get it why one uni tutor gets to reject your proposal on the grounds of her/his personal beliefs - it's still a subject worth exploring! I really hope you find a solution without having to compromise too much Chloe xx
    Meanwhile I love the subtle twists on this card. Have to say I'm not at all into the artwork on this deck, but there are some nice details - like the letter you mention, and your thoughts that he is lost in a memory. It looks to me like he's going to deliver the letter - it contains the honest words of his heart. But the river, maybe it represents the strength of what he feels, holds him back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I like that - lost in memory, and delivering a heartfelt letter. I think I often find it hard to see the positive in the Knight of Ghosts/Cups, so thanks for that, Beth!

      Delete
  4. I am sorry to hear this too. Could the card be asking you to not get washed away in this personally? I know that is difficult, since I can see all of the reasons why you should be able to write this piece and how much it is part of your life. Gosh, these people might actually learn something from it if they allowed themselves to give you a chance.

    I love this card! I think this deck will be going on the old Christmas List :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're caving to the siren song of the Halloween Tarot, it is a surprising gem!

      As for the card and my dissertation, I think it could also be about needing to hold true to my feelings (the cup/scroll), but find a way that honours other people's expectations (the ghost)...

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry about the rejection too. Did the constructive criticism give you something you feel comfortable working with for your next submission?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Siddaleah,

      Thanks for the support! I haven't figured out the next submission yet, but I think it will crystalise. Still, my focus is more on the Celtic Lenormand right now... :)

      Delete